If you’re looking for the best cordless framing nailer, let us help you shop with eight of the top choices this year. We know you’ll find the right cordless nailer for the job from our awesome list.
Top Cordless Framing Nailers
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Framing Nailer Kit from DEWALT
- With a dual-speed motor so you can use this tool for different fastening tasks.
- With a tool-free selector switch.
- You can use this to remove stuck nails.
- Dimensions – 18.5 x 6.88 x 15.56 inches, 7.8 pounds
- Motor – brushless dual-speed motor
- Special Features – tool-free selector, depth adjustment, stall release switch, rafter hook, dry firelock
- Accessories – bag, lithium-ion charger
The DEWALT 20V MAX framing nailer kit is a 30-degree nailer that uses paper-collated nails for safety. It comes with a tough dual-speed motor that will help you work with a wider range of nails or fasteners. You can use the selector switch to move from sequential mode or bump-fire mode as well.
This nailer gun has a tool-free depth adjustment so you can have perfectly placed nails at all times. And in case of a nail jam, there is a stall release switch to reset the driver blade. The nosepiece is also easy to access and change especially when there are jammed nails. And for added safety, there’s a dry fire lock that stops the nailer from firing in case you’re running low on fasteners.
Your purchase comes with a convenient tool bag, a battery pack, and a charger. The tool has an adjustable rafter hook so you can fasten this on your belt as you work.
- With a dual-speed motor and selector switch to move from different modes.
- Fires paper-collated nails for enhanced safety.
- Easy to remove nails in case of a jam.
- Comes with a battery pack and charger.
- Does not come with extra nails/fasteners.
- Complaints that you need to frequently load up on nails.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Cordless Brad Nailer Kit from PORTER-CABLE
- No need to use a compressor, gas cartridge, or hoses.
- With a depth adjustment wheel for consistent depth.
- Improved battery runtime and 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Dimensions – 13.88 x 5 x 12 inches, 5.9 pounds
- Motor – consistent special motor design
- Special Features – depth adjustment wheel, tool-free release lever, improved battery runtime, 3-year limited warranty
- Accessories – nails, charger, battery pack
With the PORTER-CABLE cordless brad nailer kit, you’ll get a battery-powered tool that eliminates the use of a hose, gas cartridge, and compressor. You will use a tool with consistent depth as it comes with a depth adjustment switch.
This nailer kit accepts 18-gauge nails and comes with a battery, battery charger, and extra nails to give you more value for your money. This PORTER-CABLE nailer is great for increasing your productivity as it comes with a tool-free release switch to remove jammed nails and a depth adjustment switch for perfect fastening projects at all times.
This cordless framing nailer comes with a 1.5 Ah 20-volt Li-ion battery which is safer and lasts longer compared to nickel-cadmium batteries. You are also covered by PORTER-CABLE’S 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. This gives you additional value for your purchase.
- No need to use gas cartridges and compressors.
- Offers consistent depth for any project.
- Will improve productivity with jam release switch and depth adjustments.
- With a better, longer battery time.
- Comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- Does not come with extra batteries.
- Complaints that it’s not as fast, and jamming nails.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Cordless Brad Nailer/Stapler Kit from KIMO
- No need to use an air compressor or hose.
- With dual modes; you can alternate between contact-actuation and sequential modes.
- A lightweight tool with front LED lights.
- Dimensions – 14.65 x 11.26 x 4.09 inches, 6.2 pounds
- Motor – 20,000 RPM speed motor
- Special Features – with high nail capacity, adjustable depth drive, get 1400 nails per full charge, dual-LED
- Accessories – bag, battery pack, charger, nails
This is a versatile tool from KIMO that does not need cords, compressors, and hoses. It has dual modes that will let you switch from sequential to contact-actuation with just one switch. It is powered by a KIMO Li-ion battery which is very powerful and lasts longer compared to other cordless framing nailers.
It is also one of the lightest at just 6 pounds so it won’t be too heavy and too hard to carry around. It comes with two front LEDs to help you position the nailer in a dark area. And because it’s smaller and lighter compared to conventional nailers, you can take this anywhere you need to work. This KIMO nailer comes with a Li-ion battery, a fast charger, nails, staples, and an Allen wrench.
- A versatile tool, easy to switch from different modes.
- With longer battery times.
- One of the lightest framing nailers.
- Comes in a compact and value set.
- Complaints of frequent jamming.
- Complaints of a faster failing battery.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Cordless Framing Nailer Kit with Brushless Motor from Metabo
- Offers faster and more efficient performance with pneumatic power.
- With an improved compact Li-ion battery.
- With depth adjustment controls.
- Dimensions – 13.5 x 5 x 12.18 inches
- Motor – 18V brushless motor
- Special Features – new Li-ion battery, with depth adjustment, air spring drive system
- Accessories – bag, battery pack, charger, paper strip framing nails
The Metabo HPT cordless framing nailer comes with a brushless 18-volt motor that produces strong pneumatic power. It is compatible with 30-degree clipped or round head nails 2 to 3.5 inches long. With just one full charge, this Metabo framing nailer can drive up to 400 nails.
You will get a portable, easy to carry, easy-to-use framing nailer with a longer 3.0 Ah Lithium-ion battery. This is a kit that comes with a battery pack, battery charger, and a convenient carry anywhere bag.
- Offers strong pneumatic power.
- Can work fast with one full charge.
- With a depth adjustment switch for perfect fastening jobs.
- Comes in a complete set with a bag.
- Cannot switch modes.
- Complaints that it’s too heavy.
Star Rating: 4.6 out of 5
Best Battery-Powered Cordless Finish Nailer from RYOBI
- With air pressure adjustment to increase nail depth.
- With LED lighting for safe use.
- With a low nail indicator to avoid dry firing.
- Dimensions – 4.13 x 11.6 x 12.7 inches, 7.59 pounds
- Special Features – with air pressure controls, LEDs, low nail indicators, tool-free adjustments, One+ compatible
- Accessories – none, batteries sold separately
The Ryobi P325 One+ is a battery-powered 16-gauge framing nailer that comes with the tool only. You need to purchase a battery separately. This nailer comes with an air pressure switch that will help you enhance the depth of the tool. At the front are LEDs that will keep you safe especially when you’re working in low lighting conditions.
It comes with a low nail indicator to avoid dry firing and it’s a One + tool which means you can use batteries from other Ryobi cordless tools.
- Versatile with air pressure adjustments.
- With low nail indicators and LED lighting to enhance safety when in use.
- You can use compatible One + Ryobi tools
- You need to buy the battery pack separately
- You need to buy the battery charger separately.
Star Rating: 4.6 out of 5
Best Cordless Framing Nailer Kit from Milwaukee
- With a nitrogen spring system and Powerstate brushless motor.
- Can work with sink-clipped or full-rounded nail heads.
- Can fire 3 nails per second with no ramp-up time.
- Dimensions – 14.1 x 4.7 x 15.2 inches
- Motor – brushless motor
- Special Features – nitrogen spring mechanism, onboard magazine, onboard belt hook, fold-away rafter hook, 30-degree framing nailer, extended capacity Li-ion battery
- Accessories – Redlithium XC5.0 battery, multi-voltage charger, bag
The Milwaukee M18 Fuel is a 30-degree framing nailer that has a nitrogen spring system, brushless motor and is equipped with REDLINK Intelligence for the best pneumatic performance. It can work with sink-clipped or full-round nails even in dense lumbers. It is capable of firing 3 nails/second with no ramp-up time.
No need to use a gas cartridge or a compressor. You can use this to work even in tough projects with its powerful 5Ah Li-ion battery. It comes with a battery pack, a multi-voltage charger, and a convenient contractor bag.
- Offers awesome pneumatic power.
- You can use this for heavy projects with great precision and speed.
- Comes in a complete set including a no-mar contractor bag.
- Does not come with free nails/fasteners.
- No mode switch.
Star Rating: 5 out of 5
Best Cordless Pneumatic Framing Nailer from Senco
- Uses airpower technology for enhanced pneumatic performance.
- Operates without ramp-up times.
- With pressure relief switch and refillable air port.
- Dimensions – 14 x 5.5 x 14.4 inches, 19.71 pounds
- Special Features – uses cordless air-power technology, no ramp-up times, with pressure relief valve, rafter hook
- Accessories – none
The Senco F-35XP is a 30 to 34-degree pneumatic framing nailer that works with paper-tape nails. It works using cordless air-power that offers fast, efficient pneumatic power with absolutely zero ramp-up times. It can produce pure power to work even on engineered wood.
This nailer comes with a pressure-relief switch in case there are jammed nails and a refillable port so maintenance is very easy and more efficient. It also comes with a rafter hook that makes it easier to hold this tool anywhere you need to work.
- Uses safe paper-taped nails.
- Offers strong pure pneumatic power.
- Can work even on tough engineered wood.
- Does not come with extra batteries and nails
- No bag or toolbox.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Framing Nailer for Round Head Nails from Bostitch
- With quick-change nosepiece for framing or connecting applications.
- With an adjustable depth switch to using according to your desired depth.
- It’s lightweight with a magnesium body for improved durability.
- Dimensions – 23 x 16 x 6 inches, 4.17 pounds
- Special Features – lightweight, easy change nosepieces, push-button fully-adjustable depth guide, magnesium body, rafter hook
- Accessories – quick-change nosepieces, framing nails, air compressor
The BOSTITCH framing nailer comes with an easy change nosepiece so you can easily change from a framing nailer to a metal connector fastener. It has a quick switch adjustable depth so you can make easy adjustments on the nail depth for any project. It is lightweight because of its magnesium alloy body.
This framing nailer works with plastic-collated nails and because of its 1,050-inch/pounds driving power, you can work on any fastening project with ease. You can also switch from a sequential to a bump trigger tool in just seconds.
- Versatile framing nailer.
- With adjustable depth switch and mode switch.
- With an adjustable hook so it’s easy to carry around.
- Lightweight, easy to take anywhere.
- Uses plastic collated nails
New to buying a cordless framing nailer? Whether you’re a beginner or you’re looking for a better tool, check out the following guide to help you find the right cordless framing nailer that’s right for your needs.
Battery or battery plus fuel cell
Cordless framing nailers may have a battery or a battery and a fuel cell. Models that come with batteries only have quick run times and can drive nails by the hundreds in one full charge. Also, these nailers won’t make you wait too long for a charge since most batteries charge fast but it’s always important to have spare batteries so you won’t run out of power as you complete a project.
Nailers that have batteries and fuel cells may have butane or propane cells. The cell works with a battery therefore the nailer is often larger, bulkier, and heavier compared to regular nailers. Usually, battery-driven framing nailers are least expensive than those with fuel cells since you will eventually buy new cells.
You might also encounter framing nailers with only the nailer inside the package, with no batteries. This usually happens in high-end framing nailers. You have to buy the nailer and pay extra to buy a battery pack since you can’t use the nailer at all! Beware of sellers or distributors that sell nailers this way.
Framing nailer magazines
Framing nailers come with magazines that are placed in specific angles. When you’re buying fasteners, take note that you can only use nails that are compatible with the framing nailer magazine angle.
Some framing nailers come with round magazines that will work with coiled fasteners. These come with 15-degree angles and can take hundreds of nails at one time. But these nailers are often heavy because of the number of nails that they can accommodate and are usually more expensive compared to framing nailers with a stick magazine type.
21-degree framing nailers
There are cordless framing nailers with stick magazines that come with 20 to 22-degree angles. Like nailers with 15-degree angles, these require round-headed nails however, 15-degree nailers use wire-coil nails. Those with 21-degree angles are compatible with plastic-collated nails.
Framing nailers with 21-degrees are recommended for tight spaces. The nailer magazine can accommodate from 60 to 70 nails which you must reload when you’re dry especially when you’re using it on an extensive project.
We recommend wearing safety goggles when using this type of framing nailer as the small bits of plastic that hold the fasteners will break and fire away as soon as you hit the trigger. These strips of plastic may get inside your eyes and cause severe injuries.
28-degree framing nailers
28-degree nailers have smaller fasteners but with clipped nail heads but some nailers can also take rounded and offset nail heads as well. The nails are held by wire and thus are held closer in a very steep magazine.
You must make sure that you have full batteries before you use a framing nailer with 28-degree angles. Most nailers lack power at steeper angles. Also, you need to review your building code as there are local offices that prohibit the use of offset head nails and clipped nails.
30 – degree framing nailers
If you’re looking for framing nailers that will work in a tight space then you should look at cordless framing nailers that have 30 to 34-degree magazines. Most of these nailers use fasteners that are paper collated and thus, you’ll work safer and less messy.
Most 30-degree nailers can accommodate two strips of paper-collated fasteners. But don’t keep paper-covered fasteners for a long time since the paper will eventually wear and weaken when kept in storage and this can be hard to work with this type of nailer.
Nailer actuation modes
There are two types of actuation modes: full sequential firing mode and contact or bump firing mode.
In contact or bump firing mode, efficiency is more important than precision which is why this type of nailer is preferred in large projects. With this nailer, just press the safety tip on a surface to apply the nail. Just squeeze the trigger right before or after the safety tip on the surface to drive a nail.
So, if you’re working on a flat surface or horizontal area, a bump firing framing nailer is more efficient but the problem is, it’s not as safe as a nailer that uses sequential firing.
Framing nailers that use sequential firing modes is safer because you need to release the nailer’s trigger and pop the safety tip before the next nail is discharged. This type of nailer is slower than a bump firing nailer but is safer and more precise.
Cordless framing nailer accessories
It’s best to choose framing nailers with complete accessories to get more value on your purchase. So instead of just purchasing the framing nailer gun, you must make sure you buy one with a battery pack, battery charger, bag, and some nails.
But don’t forget to add safety accessories when you shop. Include safety goggles, working gloves, safety boots, and safety helmet especially when you’re working on tough projects. Additional battery cells would be a blessing so you won’t run out of juice when you’re working on any project.
Here are the most frequently asked questions about buying and using a cordless framing nailer.
What’s the difference between a brad nailer and a framing nailer?
A regular brad nailer will discharge nails 3/8-inch up to 1 ¼ -inch long. A framing nailer will discharge 2 to 3 ½ – inch long nails. Brad nailers are for delicate woodworking projects while framing nailers are for larger and more extensive projects.
Are angled nailers better than straight nailers?
This will depend on how you want to use a nailer. Angled nailers are best for use in tight areas because these discharge heavy gauged nails. Straight nailers are compatible with finer nails for exposed areas.
Is a 15-gauge or a 16-gauge finish nailer better?
A large 15-gauge nailer can work with fatter nails that provide better fastening or holding power. Meanwhile, 16-gauge nailers are smaller and lighter and will accommodate finer nails.
Can you use brad nails even without a framing nailer?
You may still use brad nails even if you don’t have a framing nailer. All you need is a regular hammer or you can use regular wood glue to fasten to pieces together.
Is a 21-degree or 30-degree framing nailer better?
Both framing nailers hold a strip of fasteners. The 30-degree nailer can hold more bits for every load compared to the 21-degree tool. When it comes to size, the 30-degree framing nailer is lighter and more compact compared to 21-degree framing nailers.
When it comes to the best cordless framing nailer, we recommend the DEWALT 20V MAX framing nailer kit and the PORTER-CABLE cordless brad nailer kit. Both framing nailers are powerful, easy to use, efficient, and comes in a complete set. Both have depth switches, lasting battery power, and complete accessories to give you more value for your money. If you’re looking for a good framing nailer for woodworking tasks and projects at home, we strongly suggest these two awesome cordless tools.