Your top choice for the best drill bits for wood will depend on what project you’re working on. Whether you want to use a drill bit for something small, like making box joints or picture frames, or if your goal is to build big furniture pieces or projects that come with complicated joinery, then a a quality drill bit set is what you are looking for.
Check out these best drill bits for wood this year. With these top drill bits, you’ll be ready to work on the toughest wood types. You must choose durable, high-quality bits to take advantage of your drill’s awesome fastening and drilling power.
DEWALT (DW1361) Titanium Drill Bit Set
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
- This bit set has a connectable storage system to optimize your storage space.
- Comes with a unique bit-bar style for easy placement and removal from the drill socket.
- Has a patented taper that improves the bit’s rigidity.
- Dimensions – 8.75 x 8.75 x 1.38 inches, 1.05 pounds
- Material – titanium
- Number of Bits – 21
- Can Be Used On – wood, metal, and plastic
- Special Features – bit-bar design, web taper, pilot point tip
- Accessories – ToughCase
The DEWALT bit set comes with a unique accessory connecting storage system which will help you keep your bits clean, sharp, and perfect for any task. The see-through hard plastic storage system also lets you easily see your bits so you can get to work faster.
These bits come with a patented design so you can easily attach and place the bits with ease. If you look closely, these bits have a uniquely designed web taper which helps boost rigidity and reduce possible breakage.
These DEWALT drill bits have pilot point tips that help improve speed. Because of this design, these bits can make seamless, burr-free cuts. You can use these drill bits on plastic, wood, or soft or thin metals.
- The storage system is versatile, easy to use, and helps you stay organized.
- This storage cage is small, compact, and practical and will fit inside DEWALT’s storage cases.
- With a patented taper to improve bit rigidity and prevent breakage.
- With a pilot tip point for clean and seamless results.
- Complaints that you still need to use a punch point to start drilling.
- Complaints that the smaller bits are not as durable as larger bits.
Star Rating: 4.2 out of 5
- This drill bit set comes with a variety of bits for different applications.
- Made from very durable, very strong, and reliable materials.
- Easy to use, attach and remove from the drill.
- Dimensions – 10.1 x 6.7 x 1.5 inches, 1.75 pounds
- Material – titanium coating, carbon steel, high-speed steel
- Number of Bits – 23
- Can Be Used On – wood, PCB boards, fiberboard, wooden planks, particle board, aluminum board, plywood, and more
- Special Features – set has a variety of bit sizes, spring-loaded bits with adjustable tension
- Accessories – L wrench, automatic center punch
The Rocaris drill bits set consists of 23 bits woodworking chamfer tools. This set has 6 bits with a ¼-inch hex-type shank made from HSS, 5 flute bits with 90 degrees countersink, and 7 bits with 3-pointed HSS countersink. You also get 1 L-type wrench and 8 bits for wood plug cutting. If you need to make a starting point, the automatic center punch will help you make a dimple and prevent the bits from moving unnecessarily.
These bits come in different sizes from the common sizes up to tapered sizes to use on recessed screw holes. You’ll get a combination of carbon steel and HSS to create holes on different materials like PVC boards and wood.
The countersink bits offer enhanced abrasion resistance. These are very durable and come in a variety of flute diameters to easily remove dust and sawdust from the workpiece.
- This drill bits pack comes with all the bit sizes and types you need.
- You don’t need to look for bits to work with wood or PVC material.
- These bits are very sharp and very strong.
- These bits have good abrasion resistance.
- You can work with only minimal sawdust with bits with larger flutes and chamfers.
- Complaints that the countersinks spin when used.
- Complaints that the bits were slightly bent. Observed during initial use.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best 14-Piece Bit Set from IRWIN
- These bits have superb cutting teeth that can cut through all types of soft and hardwoods.
- This is a complete set with 14 different bits.
- Will reduce cutting time compared to traditional drill bits.
- Dimensions – 3.2 x 11.6 x 11.5 inches, 4 pounds
- Material –carbon steel
- Can Be Used On – wood
- Special Features – sharp cutting teeth, can reduce cutting time, can be used on battery-operated drills or electric drills, reduced shank will fit large drills and presses
- Accessories – bit set case
The Irwin drill bits set comes with top-quality flat bottoms and well-designed pocket holes. These bits have very sharp teeth that are specifically made to cut through different materials whether it’s soft or hardwoods. You’ll get smoother, burr-free cuts in no time
These bits have been optimized so cutting is done more efficiently and slowly. With this design, you can improve cuttings times compared to those Forstner bits. These bits are useful in making all kinds of wood furniture including cabinets, tables, desks, and chairs. You’ll have a complete set with drill bits with varying tips, sizes, and shanks.
- You’ll get more value for your money with this quality 14-piece bit set.
- These bits can cut through different materials including soft and hardwoods.
- These bits are very sharp.
- You’ll get a convenient carrying case.
- Complaints that these bits get dull easily.
- Complaints that not all bits are sharp.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5, 4.8 ounces
- These bits may be used to drill through plastic, steel, metal, wood, and aluminum alloys
- You will get a set with 60 different drill bits.
- With a high-quality titanium coat to improve durability and resistance to the elements.
- Dimensions – 6.3 x 6.2 x 0.8 inches, 4.8 ounces
- Material – high-speed steel with titanium coating
- Can Be Used On – wood, plastic, aluminum alloy, steel with up to 5mm thickness
- Special Features – with a straight round shank, spiral flute
- Accessories – none
The amoloo drill bit set is available in a set of 60 pieces and all the bits are cased in a portable plastic box. You’ll get the most common drill bit sizes and shape to meet regular drilling needs.
These bits come with a high-quality HSS titanium coating. You can also count on this tough coating to improve water resistance making these bits last a long time even when used in demanding environments.
Because of their completely-ground spiral groove style, you’ll have bits that will clear all particles easily. There is reduced friction and low heat production for faster drilling properties. These come with a 140-degree split point plus a straight shank for more precise results. You don’t need to use a center punch with this set of drill bits.
You’ll get small bits to work with materials like wood, steel (within 10 mm thickness), plastic, soft metal, and aluminum alloy. You can use these bits to work on DIY projects, home maintenance, and other home repairs. However, you can’t use this to drill through tough materials including concrete, ceramic, and glass.
- These are made from very durable, high-quality materials.
- These bits are hard, durable, and resists wear and tear.
- With a straight shank to keep the bit from moving.
- You don’t need a center punch.
- These bits can work with more materials.
- Your purchase is covered by a 90-day warranty.
- Complaints that the bits are not as durable.
Star Rating: 4.4 out of 5
- These are brad point bits for easy and more accurate performance compared to twist-style bits.
- These bits are available in fractional sizes with 1/64-inch increments so these are more convenient to use for different woodworking projects.
- Comes with a safe and strong polycarbonate material to prevent damage and improve bit lifespan.
- Dimensions – 7.75 x 4.5 x 2 inches, 2.82 pounds
- Material – alloy steel
- Can Be Used On – wood, non-metallic materials
- Special Features – pointed tips, sharper spur edges, wider flutes, indexed storage box
- Accessories – storage box
The Fulton Brad Point Drill Bit Set is composed of 29 well-ground, precise bits. These are brad point bits making it easier and more accurate compared to standard drill bits. You’ll get fractional-sized bits with 1/64-inch increments so these are very convenient to use for a variety of woodworking tasks.
These are HCS brad point bits inside a protective storage case. This is made from very strong and durable polycarbonate which can keep the drill bits safe from any kind of damage. It’s also easier to locate the bit you want to use with this case.
- These bits are available in many sizes and come in a set.
- It comes with a hard case with vertical storage slots.
- The different bit sizes are easy to find because of the vertical storage.
- The bits are available in fractional sizes for easy sizing.
- Complaints about bits with reduced shanks.
- Won’t work in a drill press.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- These bits come with enhanced cutting angles to easily cut flat bottom holes.
- Creates cleaner holes faster thanks to its optimized angles.
- Lasts longer compared to other drill bits of the same style.
- Dimensions – 13 x 11.1 x 2.7 inches, 3.96 pounds
- Material – hardened steel
- Can Be Used On – wood and non-metallic materials
- Special Features – enhanced cutting angles, open-tooth design, longer-lasting sharpness, all common bit sizes included.
- Accessories – carrying case
The Porter-Cable PC1014 Forstner bit set comes with optimized angles to make flat-bottom holes. It comes with an open-tooth style so you can make clean holes quicker and easier. Use these bits to get a smoother, professional look.
These drill bits are made to last a long time and come in standard sizes from ¼ to 2 inches. You will also get a convenient carrying case with a clear cover. This case makes it easier to carry your bits to the workplace plus, it’s easier to organize them so you can work with ease.
- These drill bits are made from very strong metal.
- With a fine finish that resists rust.
- Comes with a convenient carrying case to keep organized.
- These bits are available in standard sizes.
- With a limited number of drill bits.
- Complaints that these are not durable.
Star Rating: 4.6 out of 5
- This is a set of countersink bits useful for woodworking.
- With an adjustable countersink, thanks to its stop collar to accommodate different screw sizes.
- Comes with a Quick Change Shank making these bits universally compatible with different types of drills.
- Dimensions – 7.17 x 2.36 x 1.57 inches, 6.46 inches
- Material – High-speed steel, carbon steel, black oxide finish
- Can Be Used On – wood
- Special Features – adjustable countersink, easy change shank
- Accessories – hex wrench, carrying case
The JNB Pro drill bits come with adjustable countersinks so you can adjust the depth to work with different screw sizes. The quick-change shank is universally compatible with all Quick Change Chucks with ¼-inch sizes as well as other brands.
These are 5 bits with the same sizes (#8), with extra 2 bits at 11/64-inch tapered HSS. You will also get a hex wrench and a safe and compact container to keep all these bits secure.
- These are countersink bits inside a safe and handy container.
- These bits are compatible with different shanks.
- With an adjustable countersink to work with different sizes of screws.
- Comes with only one stop-collar accessory.
- You still need to adjust the bit’s countersink to work with the screw length.
Star Rating: 4.6 out of 5
- These are very strong bits made from 4241 HSS to give you fast and easy cuts.
- With a brad tip point style for improved accuracy.
- These bits can reach even the tightest spaces.
- Dimensions – 5.12 x 3.39 x 0.67 inches, 3.2 ounces
- Material – high-speed steel
- Can Be Used On – wood materials
- Special Features – short length, sharper points, labeled bit holder
- Accessories – bit holder
The Neiko 11401A is a stubby bit set that’s perfect for working with wood. These bits are short but are made from HSS to drill through very tough wood. It comes with a brad point tip to provide a more accurate drilling surface.
These are compatible with quick-change and traditional chucks thanks to its ¼ – inch hex-type shanks. The stubby bit design lets you drill in tight spaces using a right-angle drill.
- These bits are made from tough HSS.
- With brad-point tips to drill through any wood surface.
- Is useful for right-angle drills and in tight spaces.
- The bits can get very hot.
- These can bend when hot.
- Complaints that these are not as tough.
- Problems with the holder.
Best Drill Bits Buying Guide
Purchasing the right drill bits for woodworking can be confusing with the number of drill bit brands available in the market now. Don’t worry as we a few reminders and information which can help you come up with the right decision.
Consider different drill bit materials and finishes.
Using the right bit made with the best material will give you amazing power. The most common materials used to make drill bits are:
- High-speed steel or HSS – bits made from this type of steel can drill through wood, PVC, soft metals, and fiberglass.
- Cobalt – bits made from cobalt are very hard and very durable. These can release heat well and thus will work best in drilling tough materials such as aluminum and stainless steel.
- HSS with black oxide coating – this bit can resist corrosion and are very durable. These will last longer compared to HSS and can drill on different materials like hardwood and softwood, metal, fiberglass, and PVC material.
- HSS with titanium coating – this type of bit produces minimal friction and is very tough. Titanium-coated bits can stay sharp for longer periods and thus will work best on wood, fiberglass, metal, and PVC materials.
- Carbide-tips- bits with this kind of tip are very sharp and thus, will stay in great condition compared to steel, titanium coated HSS and HSS bits. Carbide-tip bids are for drilling masonry and tile.
Take note of the drill bit construction.
If you take a closer look at different drill bits, you’ll notice that these come with different points. From this, you can determine what material it can cut.
- Flat points – these drills come with angles of 135 degrees which are perfect for drilling through tough materials. Usually, these bits require a pilot hole to avoid unnecessary movement.
- Steep points – these are bits with angles that are 118 degrees. These are best for soft materials because they remain in the center and can create seamless entry/exit holes.
- Split points – these bits have improved accuracy as the bit does not wander or move unnecessarily.
Consider drill bit sizes
Standard bit sizes of 1/16 to ¼-inch are best for common DIY projects and drilling tasks at home. You may use larger bits like 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and ½ inch bits to create larger holes.
Aside from the bit size, the chuck size should also be considered. A small drill has a 3/8-inch chuck while larger and more powerful models have a large ½-inch chuck. Take note that the shank size should not be larger than the chuck size. Larger bits may need a smaller diameter shank.
Round shanks will allow you to center the bit inside the chuck. Hex-shaped shanks are flat so the tool can grip the bit easier and can improve torque. Hex shanks are common in cordless drills so you can insert/remove the bit without the need to tighten or loosen the chuck.
Slotted-drive shanks are used on special drills like the hammer drill. This drill has a chuck with a spring-loaded system so you don’t need to tighten it. Because of this design, the bits can move with the hammering motion of the drill.
On the other hand, twisted drill bits are the most common. These are general-use bits that can be used on light materials and wood.
Brad-point bits are used to bore through wood. In the center of the bit is a brad-point which keeps the bit in the correct position. This produces more accurate points in your workpiece. Brad-point bits also come with flutes or grooves which remove chips of wood and dust away from the material.
Other options to consider
There are other types of drill bits depending on the size, use, and material. There are self-free drill bits, auger bits, installer bits, spade bits, Forstner drill bit (for flat-bottomed holes), hole saws, countersink bits, plug cutters, tile bits, and masonry bits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most frequently asked questions about buying and using drill bits:
What Drill Bit is best for wood?
High-speed steel bits or HSS bits are best for drilling wood. These are very durable and are also best for light materials, PVC and fiberglass.
Do I need a special drill bit for wood?
Drilling into wood can either be done with specialized wood bits or with your regular multipurpose twist type of bits. However, you have to stop from time to time just to remove some debris from the hole if you are using a multipurpose twist bits. For smoother drilling, a specially designed wood bit should be perfect.
There are also different types of drill bits for wood that are specially designed according to the type of hole you are drilling. You need flat wood bits for cutting larger holes; spur point bits for making holes with smooth sides; auger bits for hard and soft woods; and many others.
Can I use any drill bit for wood?
Yes you can but if you want to save time and effort then you would need a drill bit designed for wood.
Are HSS drill bits OK for wood?
Yes they are.
Are metal drill bits good for wood materials?
Metal drill bits can work on any surface even on wood. However, you need to reduce pressure or power to avoid damaging the wood.
What are the different colors of drill bits?
Drill bits for wood and metal come in a variety of colors. Some are silver some are copper-color. The color difference is because of the bit’s coating. Black or dark bits mean that these are coated with black oxide or titanium.
When it comes to the best drill bits, we recommend the DEWALT bit set. This bits set has a patented design for easy attachment to any brand or make of drill. These bits are rigid and will resist breakage. These DEWALT drill bits have pilot point tips that can make fast and seamless, burr-free cuts. You can use these bits to drill through plastic, wood, or soft or thin metals. This DEWALT drill bit set could be the one you need for your woodworking projects.