A portable band saw is a type of power saw with a sharp and long blade. This type of saw can easily cut curves on thick pieces of wood and other tough materials. It can also be used to rough out all kinds of shapes. The best portable band saw is efficient and powerful, great for cutting different materials with ease. Here are the top 8 band saws available this year.
Star Rating: 4.9 out of 5
Best Portable Band Saw from DEWALT
- This is a metal saw with efficient 5-inch cutting capabilities.
- You can hang this saw safely with its integrated hook.
- Comes with a tool-less lever to change the blade tension.
- Dimensions – 24.4 x 13 x 8.27 inches, 12.4 pounds
- Power/Motor – 20 Volt brushless motor
- Cutting Power – up top 5 x 4 ¾ – inch rectangular pieces and up to 4 inches round pieces.
- Special Features – speed controls, hanging hook, strong base, FLEXVOLT batteries,
- Accessories – band saw
The DEWALT portable band saw DCS374B is a battery-powered power saw that’s designed to work with metal materials. It has a reliable 5-inch cutting capability and you can fine-tune the saw’s power. It comes with a bright LED lamp that can help you work safely even in dark areas and surfaces. You’ll work more accurately whether you’re at your shop or the worksite.
The DCS374B offers easy tool-less blade changes with a lever that simply loosens and tightens the blade tension. This lever remains tight especially when you’re using the saw so there are no worries when it comes to safe use.
Because of the saw’s variable speed, you can control your cuts and save precious material. The brushless motor is strong, dependable, and built for high-performance tasks. However, your purchase does not come with a battery. You need to purchase a DEWALT lithium-ion battery and a battery charger separately.
- This band saw can cut deeply and smoothly.
- With a portable hanging hook to prevent damage to the base.
- It has an LED work lamp to illuminate your workspace and prevent accidents.
- Offers faster and easy blade changes.
- Has a variable speed, brushless motor that’s very durable and versatile.
- Does not come with a battery and battery charger.
- Can be very heavy and tiring to use.
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Best Cordless Band Saw from Makita
- This band saw has improved cutting power, works with a 44 7/8 – inch blade.
- Good portable band saw to cut light metal materials.
- This saw has a trigger switch with a lock-off system to safely power off the band saw.
- Dimensions – 14 x 22.4 x 10.7 inches, 15 pounds
- Power/Motor – 18V lithium-ion battery, high-torque motor with variable speed control 275 to 530 feet per minute
- Special Features – thick rubber bumper, tool hook, fully-adjustable stopper plate, LED, soft-grip, with on-board tool storage
- Accessories – band saw, batteries, and battery charger sold separately
The Makita XBP02Z is a cordless band saw with a versatile cutting capacity making it effective for a variety of metal materials. It comes with a Makita motor to make faster and more accurate cuts thanks to its variable speed features (275 to 530 feet/min.).
This band saw has an over-torque protection feature plus an alert light to warn you in case of a possible overload. Other safety features include a trigger switch with an easy lock-off feature. With this, you need to take two steps to power on your saw.
Meanwhile, it has a variable speed switch that’s conveniently placed near the handle. This will help you match the speed of the saw with the material you’re working on.
- With a larger cutting capacity and can cut different materials made of metal.
- This comes with a Makita variable speed motor for easy and efficient cuts.
- This saw has safety features for enhanced protection and motor durability.
- It does not have a lock-on switch.
- Problems with battery life.
- Complaints about the weird shape.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Deep Cut Band Saw from Milwaukee
- This band saw is very portable, capable of making cuts with one hand.
- It comes with a powerful motor capable of producing up to 150 cuts for every full charge.
- This saw can be used to cut a variety of applications.
- Dimensions – 17.5 x 13 x 7.5 inches, 12.87 pounds
- Power/Motor – 12V motor, XC Battery
- Cutting Power – 1 5/8-inch cutting capability
- Special Features – one-handed operation, XC battery, LED lamp, blade tension adjustment, blade tracking features
- Accessories – band saw blade
The Milwaukee 2429-21xc is a compact band saw that’s lighter compared to other portable saws of the same type. It has a strong motor that’s capable of cutting ¾ – inch in less than 5 seconds. The battery is very efficient and can cut up to 150 cuts in one full charge.
You can use this band saw in different applications. It is also good for one-handed use so you can hold the wood material on the other. The LED lamp can also help you make accurate cuts. And with the blade tracking adjustment system, you can adjust the blade according to your task.
This Milwaukee portable saw is very easy to use with no need to assemble it before use. The only drawback is you need to order the battery and battery charger separately as these are not included in your purchase.
- Can be used with one hand.
- It is lightweight and compact
- Capable of producing 150 cuts with one full charge.
- With easy blade adjustments.
- Complaints that battery power won’t last long.
- Batteries will eventually wear out.
Anbull Portable Band Saw
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Deep Cut Portable Band Saw from Anbull
- This saw comes with a durable and powerful copper motor at 1100W.
- This may be used to cut a variety of materials with no burns. You can cut aluminum, steel, iron, composite cables, PVC pipes, and many more.
- With an ergonomic grip handle to reduce operator fatigue when extensively used.
- Dimensions – 20.67 x 6.5 x 11.42 inches, 33 pounds
- Power/Motor – 1100W 10 amp motor
- Cutting Power – 5 x 4 ¾- inch deep – cut for rectangular pieces and 5 inches for round pieces.
- Special Features – steel alloy material base with adjustable angles, with a steel shroud, rubber bumpers, LED light, variable speed control, fully adjustable, with an ergonomic design
- Accessories – base, saw blade
The Anbull portable band saw comes with a steel base so you can use it to work efficiently on any project. It has a strong and dependable 1100-watt 10-amp copper motor which you can use on different applications.
Cutting different tough materials like steel will have no burrs or sparks while the cuts will be smooth and seamless. This can work with steel, composite cables, aluminum, angle iron, and other materials.
It is well-balanced so you’ll get more precise cuts. It comes with an ergonomic handle with a soft grip to reduce operator fatigue. The blade is encased inside a steel shroud for safe operation. Meanwhile, there are rubber bumpers to withstand constant use. There is a blade guard to protect the blade from jams and to keep your hands at a safe distance.
The base is heavy but it keeps the saw in place. It’s removable and can swivel from 0 to 45 degrees. You can use three different types of blades: 14, 18, and 24 teeth per inch blades to work with different types of material.
- This comes with a powerful copper motor.
- This saw can be used to cut different tough materials.
- It can cut with or without the base.
- It is a well-balanced band saw with a soft-grip handle.
- With safety features to keep the saw blade sharp and to secure your hands as you operate the saw.
- This saw is easy to assemble and can work with a variety of angles.
- This is too heavy to take anywhere.
- Complaints that it is not for precision cutting.
- Hard to read angle markers.
- The locking handle is plastic and may not last long.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Portable Band Saw from Ryobi
- This saw has an improved 2 ½-inch cutting capacity and can be cut through wood, plastic, and metal.
- It comes with a handle with an improved design for maximum comfort and visibility.
- It can make quick cuts on different materials.
- Dimensions – 15.47 x 10.47 x 8.23 inches, 9.3 pounds
- Power/Motor – 18-volt motor, ONE+ batteries
- Cutting Power – 2.5 inches cutting capacity, can clear out 560 feet per minute surface
- Special Features – portable, lightweight, adjustable blade tracking, hanging hook, onboard tool storage
- Accessories – none
The Ryobi P590 is a cordless and portable band saw with a wider capacity so you can use this in many applications. It is a saw that can accurately cut materials like wood, plastics, and metal. Instead of a traditional band saw handle, it is built with a pommel handle that makes it more comfortable to use. You’ll also have a better view of your work with this type of handle.
Because of its very durable motor, you’ll get 560 SFPM for easy and quick cuts on different materials. And just like most of the cordless band saws in this list, the Ryobi P590 does not come with a battery and charger. You must purchase these separately.
- This cordless saw can be used for many applications.
- It can cut different materials from wood to metal.
- It has a unique handle design to allow you to cut comfortably and safely.
- With a very durable motor to cut smoothly and quickly.
- This saw is light and easy to use.
- Does not come with a battery or a charger.
- Complaints that it has a limited cutting area.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Deep-Cut Portable Band Saw from BOSCH
- This saw comes with a reliable, strong 10-amp motor to create clean cuts.
- Can cut deeply in one pass.
- This is a compact saw with a lightweight design weighing less than 15 pounds.
- Dimensions – 19.7 x 6.5 x 9.8 inches, 14.5 pounds
- Power/Motor – 120-Volt motor
- Cutting Power – 4.8 inches deep, 380 feet per minute
- Special Features – saw hook, variable speed motor, comfortable handle, easy grip
- Accessories – saw blade, hanging hook
The BOSCH GCB10-5 is a band saw capable of producing deeper and more accurate cuts. This comes with a strong 10 amp motor with variable speeds so you can match the tool speed with the material you’re cutting.
The GCB10-5 can produce clean and very smooth cuts. You won’t create sparks and burns so you’ll stay safe when using it. You can use this for deeper cuts, up to 4 ¾-inches deep in one pass.
This saw is compact but is heavy at 14.5 pounds. The handle is contoured and easy to hold while the trigger position allows you to use this single-handedly.
- With a saw hook so you can keep your tool handy and safe in between uses.
- This tool offers cleaner and more precise cuts.
- You can use this to match the material and the cut rate to enhance precision.
- It has a compact design and thus can be used for overhead jobs.
- Complaints that it’s too loud.
- Complaints about short battery life.
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Best Band Saw from Metabo
- This is one of the lightest portable band saws available in the market at only 10 pounds.
- It has a large, ergonomic handle for easy use on different materials.
- With easy depth adjustment and reliable speed adjustment features.
- Dimensions – 12.5 x 16.5 x 9.5 inches, 10 pounds
- Power/Motor – 18 volts, lithium-ion batteries
- Special Features –powerful motor, ergonomic handle, variable speeds, versatile saw for different products.
- Accessories – none
The Metabo 613022850 is an 18-volt portable band saw that’s useful in cutting metal materials. This is a compact power saw that’s lighter than other models. It weighs just 10 pounds and this makes it easier to take in any job site.
It comes with a variable speed motor to adjust the saw according to the material you want to cut. The handle is huge but comfortable to use while the trigger is easy to pull and thus, you can use this even with one hand.
- This is one of the lightest power saws of the same type.
- This comes with a large handle with a comfortable grip.
- It is versatile and can be used for different types of material.
- This is only a bare tool. You need to purchase the tool’s battery and charger.
- Complaints that it’s not as durable.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Portable Band Saw from Ironton
- Comes with a powerful motor and faster cutting speeds.
- Has a deeper cutting capacity with its very strong motor and sharp saw blade.
- With a built-in LED lamp so you can easily check the area you’re working on.
- Dimensions – 19.75 x 10.25 x 8.31 inches
- Power/Motor – 10 amp motor, 435 SFPM
- Cutting Power – 5 x 5 inches cutting capacity
- Special Features – variable speed switch, LED, deep cutting features
- Accessories – none
The Ironton compact and portable bandsaw come with a powerful and durable 10-amp 120-volt motor that can work through different materials. It has deeper cutting depths up to 5 x 5 inches deep to accommodate thicker materials.
This saw has variable speeds with a dial conveniently located near the handle. You will also get more accurate cuts safely with its built-in LED lamp. This will also help you see your working area more clearly.
- This portable saw has a powerful motor with variable speeds.
- You can use this to cut different materials up to 5 x 5 inches deep.
- With an easy to grip, comfortable handle.
- Complaints that the handle is positioned very poorly.
- The battery won’t hold a charge for a longer time.
How to properly take care of your band saw?
Remove all the debris
Just like any type of saw, you must carefully remove all dirt, sawdust, and all kinds of debris from the saw’s body. Aside from using a soft brush, use an air compressor attached to a blower to blow debris away from the saw. It would help if you use a blower every after use to keep the saw in shape the next time you need it.
Get rid of all dust and rust
Band saws that accumulate dust and debris are prone to rust and carbon dust. No matter what type of material you’re cutting, you must remove all the rust from the tool’s body especially the saw blade.
To do this, use a liquid rust remover. Cut steel wool into small pieces and use these to rub the tabletop. Apply the liquid rust remover according to instructions and make sure to use firm strokes to remove all the rust.
After a thorough scrub, use a clean, dry piece of cloth to wipe the table. Repeat the application if dirt or rust remains. Remember, don’t use any solvents to clean your table as this can only damage it.
Caring for band saw blades
Power off the band saw and wear protective work gloves. Remove the saw blade from the tool and clean it using a liquid rust remover product and a piece of steel wool. After scrubbing, use another piece of clean and dry cloth to remove all the scrubbed dirt. Inspect the blade for warping, missing teeth, and any possible concerns. For safety, replace a broken blade right away.
Use metal wax to clean the table. Wax will help make the surface smooth and flawless. Afterward, use a clean, dry cloth to spread the wax and to wipe the area clean.
Clean Your Portable Band Saw
While the saw blade is off the band saw, take a wire brush sprayed with resin remover and gently brush the area. Pay more attention to the wheels and pitch of the saw as these are often the dirtiest parts of the tool.
After using a brush and resin remover, take a dry clean cloth and wipe these areas clean. Afterward, re-install the blade and make sure that everything is in tip-top shape before you use the tool.
The following are the most frequently asked questions and answers about purchasing and using portable band saws:
What are cordless band saws for?
Cordless band saws offer the best cutting power, accuracy, and overall convenience. You can take a cordless saw to the worksite without worrying about being away from a power outlet. This type of saw is very flexible and can cut tougher materials including different types of metals and alloys.
Is it possible to use a cordless band saw on wood?
You can use a cordless band saw to cut wood especially when making scarf and tenon-type joints. This saw can cut the tenon tongue and proceed with creating the mortice hole to complete this very common type of woodworking joint.
From our list of the 8 best portable band saws, we like the DEWALT DCS374B a battery-powered power saw for metal materials. This saw has an efficient 5-inch cutting capability and is one of the easiest and safest to use. It has unique features like tool-less blade changes, variable speeds, and a brushless motor. There are also some drawbacks with the purchase of this DEWALT band saw but these were overlooked because of its many impressive features. We recommend the DEWALT DCS374B metal band saw and this could be the power saw you’re searching for.