What’s better than a compound miter saw? A sliding compound miter saw is like a regular compound miter saw plus it can slide back and forth on a guide rail. This allows you to make intricate angled cuts and cut wider materials as well.
Of the 8 best sliding compound miter saw of 2023, the DEWALT DWS779 sliding compound miter saw wins hands down. It comes with stainless steel parts, a precise mitering system, versatile bevels, and improved cross-cutting capacities. Learn more about the DWS779 and seven more top sliding compound miter saws in our review.
DEWALT (DWS779) 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Star Rating: 4.9 out of 5
- This miter saw comes with durable, efficient detent plates including 10 positive stops.
- This comes with a very accurate mitering system for quick and easy miter angles.
- Comes with very strong steel rails with an enhanced clamping mechanism.
The Dewalt DWS779 Sliding Compound Miter Saw is a 12-inch corded electric miter saw with the features every woodworker and contractor needs. It comes with a beautiful stainless steel detent plate to rest its huge 12-inch saw blade. This plate comes with 10 positive stops making it versatile, great for different projects.
This saw has a precise mitering system plus efficient fence support which keeps your stock material in perfect form for different cuts. The tall sliding fence can support the base vertically plus the Cam-lock handle allows movement-free, precise cuts.
It can bevel from 0 to 48 degrees to the left and the right. At 90 degrees, it can cross cut 2 x 14 – inch lumber while at 45 degrees, it can take 2 x 10-inch wood. This Dewalt sliding compound miter saw comes with a powerful motor and a very sharp blade to keep your cuts clean and quick.
The handle is large and D-shaped for an easy grip. There are also two handles, one on each side, to efficiently carry the tool anywhere you need to work.
- Dimensions – 21 x 17 x 17 inches, 56 pounds
- Motor/Power – 15-Amp, 3800 RPM motor
- Cutting Capabilities – bevels from 0 to 48 degrees to the right and left, 2 x 14 inches at 90 degrees crosscut capacity, 2 x 10 inches at 45 degrees
- Special Features – stainless steel miter detents, 10 positive stops, machined base fence, cam lock handle, detent override, tall sliding fences, dual steel rails, improved clamping system, linear ball bearing for improved durability and accuracy.
- Accessories – carbide blade, wrench, user guide.
- With a durable base, precise mitering system, and base fence support.
- With a Cam-lock system that keeps the material in place as you cut.
- Capable of handling larger and more complicated materials.
- With versatile beveling capabilities.
- The large handle makes it easier to use the machine, less fatigue and guarantees a safer grip.
- You can carry this power tool anywhere with handles.
- Does not come with a stand.
- Complaints about the dust extraction port.
Delta 26-2241 10″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- This miter saw comes with a shadow cutting guideline to create accurate and consistent cuts on all materials.
- Offers one-hand miter controls located at the front for easy override and beveling adjustments.
- The handle is molded and comes with a full-sized trigger system. This design helps reduce operator fatigue.
This compound miter saw from Delta offers one-hand controls with a push-button detent override and a release button located at the front. These controls are in the best spots to allow you to control the machine better. In case of any problems, you can always rely on the electric brake to stop the blades safely.
You’ll get a guide line to help you make very accurate cuts; there’s no need to waste material. The handle is well-molded while the trigger is full-size so it’s comfortable to use whether you’re left or right-handed.
This miter saw has a powerful 15-amp motor plus a durable, sharp 10-inch diameter blade, ready to cut any material with 4000 RPM. It can cut at the most common angles left and right with its easy dual beveling features. This Delta Saw also comes with a handle on each side for easy transport. It is one of the lightest sliding compound miter saws at just 55 pounds.
- Dimensions – 22.5 x 29.5 x 20 inches, 55 pounds
- Power/Motor – 15-Amp motor with 4000 RPM
- Cutting Capabilities –dual beveling at 45 degrees left and 45 degrees to the right. 7 positive stops
- Special Features – with a cutting line guide, easy to use controls, molded handle, easy to use trigger, versatile beveling
- Accessories – clamp
- With a cutting guide line for accurate cuts on any material.
- One of the lightest miter saws with handles so it’s easy to take to the worksite.
- You can control the miter with just one hand.
- It has a versatile beveling capacity.
- Complaints about adjusting the blade.
- Problems with the dust extraction port.
Metabo HPT 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- This miter saw comes with a powerful 15-Amp motor at 4000 RPM to cut more efficiently and smoothly.
- It comes with a compact slider system so the saw head can move along fixed rails. No need for rear clearance.
- With a larger sliding fence.
The C12RSH2S Metabo HPT Sliding Compound Miter Saw comes with a 15-amp motor and a 12-inch 60 teeth blade to tackle all kinds of aggressive cutting jobs. This saw has an accurate, compact sliding system to allow the saw head to move along fixed railings. This reduces rear clearance, great for people who can’t spare a lot of room in a small shop.
This compound miter saw can cut up to 5 1/8 inches fence height to tackle a 7.5-inch crown molding vertically. It is a corded electric saw that comes with complete accessories. You can immediately start making bevel cuts and miter cuts out of the box.
- Dimensions – 36.6 x 24 x 23.4 inches, 77.8 pounds
- Power/Motor – 15-Amp motor, 4000 RPM
- Special Features – compact slider system, larger sliding fences
- Accessories – 12-inch 60 teeth TCT saw blade, vice, dust bag, and a box wrench
- With a strong motor, sharp and durable saw blade.
- With a compact slider system to reduce rear clearance and avoid eating up so much space.
- Comes with all the accessories you need.
- Can cut crown molding easily and can bevel and miter with ease.
- No stand.
- Fold and roll stand sold separately.
- Heavy to take anywhere.
Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ 10″ Compound Sliding Miter Saw
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- This power saw can cut a variety of materials without the need for changing the saw blades.
- With a high-quality motor and laser guiding system.
- With wider miter angles to cut more intricate cuts.
The Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ is a multi-material saw which can take wood, wood with nails, composite decking, ferrous and non-ferrous materials, laminates, and plastics. This compound sliding miter saw is built with a high-torque 15-amp motor to cut at different angles. With its adjustable depth feature, you can easily miter and bevel to complete different projects.
This miter saw comes with a laser guidance line which will help you make precise cuts each time. Your purchase also comes with complete accessories including a dust bag that fits perfectly over its dust extraction port. Overall, this Evolution miter saw is a good value for your money thanks to its generous 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Dimensions – 22.91 x 20.47 x 14.57 inches, 41.8 pounds
- Power/Motor – 15-Amp motor
- Cutting Capabilities – bevel tilt 45 degrees to the left, miter cuts from – 50 to + 50 degrees
- Special Features – Improved bevel and miter cutting, laser guide, TCT blade, extended neck and fence, quick release clamp, dust port, easy carrying handles, longer power cords.
- Accessories – saw blade
- This saw can cut a variety of materials, no blade changes for every cut.
- Comes with a durable, powerful motor.
- This is a versatile saw which can cut at different angles and depths.
- The laser guide line helps you make accurate cuts.
- More value for your money with a 3-year warranty.
- Does not come with a stand.
- Complaints that the laser guide line is too weak, can hardly be seen at all.
Ryobi 10 Amp 7 1/4 Sliding Mitre Saw
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- This is a portable Ryobi compound sliding miter saw. It is lighter than other models.
- Uses a strong 40-tooth carbide tip blade for faster and cleaner cuts.
- With accurate stops at the most popular angles.
The Ryobi sliding compound miter saw is a very portable saw thanks to its lightweight. It is compact but can help you a lot in any woodworking or carpentry tasks as long as you need a miter or bevel cut.
This miter saw has a 10-amp motor with 5350 RPM for improved performance. The 40-tooth carbide tip saw blade offers cleaner and faster cuts. This is a very quick and very accurate saw with miter stops conveniently located at the most popular angles for crown molding. It’s easy to adjust plus a convenient LED cutline guide will help you see your project.
- Dimensions – 28.5 x 19.88 x 17 inches, 30.7 pounds
- Power/Motor – 10-Amp motor, 5350 RPM
- Cutting Capabilities –1 ½ x 10 – inch at 90 degrees, 1 ½ x 6- inch at 45 degrees crosscuts, miters 47 degrees to the left and the right. Miter stops at the most common angles.
- Special Features – dust port, 40 teeth carbide tip saw blade, adjustable bevel, miter detent override, machined cast miter scale, LED guide line, spindle lock, electric brake
- Accessories – blade wrench, 40-tooth carbide tip saw blade, dust bag
- This is a lightweight and portable miter saw.
- With a reliable motor to make fast and clean cuts on different materials.
- With accurate miter stops, sharp and durable blade, and LED cutline.
- No stand.
- Complaints that it’s hard to use to make angled cuts.
JET JMS-10X 10″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Star Rating: 4 out of 5
- This sliding compound miter saw is versatile and adjustable with extension tables.
- Offers maximum control with ergonomic handles.
- You can easily cut through hardwood with its heavy-duty 15-amp motor.
The JET JMS-10X is a 10-inch sliding compound miter saw with a dual-bevel system. This saw comes with a fully adjustable fence plus extension tables to tackle larger materials with ease. It has a smooth slider system equipped with linear bearings for easy operation.
You can easily change or adjust miter angles using just a simple thumb lever. The heavy-duty motor lets you cut through different materials plus, it comes with a dust extraction port to keep sawdust at bay. This is a lightweight 47-pound JET miter saw, ready to move from your home to the worksite.
- Dimensions – 37.3 x 24.8 x 14.5 inches, 47 pounds
- Motor/Power – 15-Amp motor
- Special Features – adjustable fence at the left and right, extension tables, slide operation, rubber grip handle, dust port, collection bag, laser guide
- Accessories – dust bag, wrenches
- This is a lightweight, compact miter saw.
- With easy to adjust miter angles.
- Offers additional support with extension tables.
- Removes dust from your cutting area to improve visibility.
- No table.
- The dust collection bag is too small.
- Complaints with the fence adjustments.
WORX WX845L.9 20V 7.25″ Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- This is a battery-powered sliding compound miter saw.
- This comes with preset detents according to the most common miter angles.
- Use the Power Share Worx system and share batteries from other Worx power tools.
The Worx WX845L.9 is a battery-operated sliding compound miter saw. It uses Power Share batteries which you can share with other Worx power tools. You’ll get pre-set detent to the common miter angles for faster and precise cuts. This is a smaller saw at 7 ¼ inches and thus can fit in a smaller shop at home or at your worksite.
This Worx miter saw is one of the lightest at just 21 pounds making it one of the easiest to transport. However, it does not come with the Power Share batteries and thus, you can’t use this miter saw out of the box.
- Dimensions – 28.54 x 19.09 x 18.9 inches, 21 pounds
- Power/Motor – lithium-ion battery, 3600 RPM
- Special Features – preset detents, Power Share batteries, compact design, easy bevel adjustments, dust port
- Accessories – 40 teeth saw blade, dust bag, and spanner
- Battery-powered miter saw with compact design.
- You can easily take it to the job site.
- It has easy to adjust bevels and miters.
- It can cut through different materials.
- You need to buy the Power Share batteries separately.
- Batteries eventually wear out after many uses.
- No table.
Makita XSL06Z 18 Volt 10-inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Star Rating: 5 out of 5
- This miter saw is battery-powered with X2 LXT tech for improved power, speed, and battery runtime.
- In the heart of this saw is a BL Motor with 4400 RPM for smoother and faster cutting.
- With an Automatic Speed Change tech to efficiently adjust torque and cutting speeds for improved tool performance.
The Makita XSL06Z cordless sliding compound miter saw is a dual-bevel saw that delivers maximum efficiency for every cut. This comes with 2 LXT technology batteries that guarantee improved power and run time. You’ll get more out of a single charge! This saw also has a powerful BL Motor with 4400 RPM to create smoother and faster cuts.
This sliding compound miter saw comes with a carbide tip miter saw blade that offers maximum efficiency, more cuts for every charge. The blade has tungsten carbide tips making it very durable to match different materials.
- Power/Motor – BL Motor with 4400 RPM
- Cutting Capabilities – positive miter stops at the most common angles, miters 0 to 60 degrees to the left and right, bevels from 0 to 48 degrees to the left and right.
- Special Features – LXT batteries, BL Motor, BL Brushless Motor, Automatic Speed Change, carbide-tipped saw blade
- Accessories – saw blade
- With a strong Makita motor and batteries.
- The batteries come with your purchase.
- With adjustable cutting speeds and torque to work with different materials.
- The blade is very strong, ready to cut different materials.
- No table.
- The batteries will eventually wear out; you need several if you want to take this to the worksite.
- Complaints about the cutting speed and torque adjustments.
Sliding Compound Miter Saw Buying Guide
In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know before making your purchase. From the different types of saws available, to key features to look for, and even tips on budgeting, we’ve got you covered.
So, let’s dive in and find the perfect sliding compound miter saw for your needs!
Types of Sliding Compound Miter Saws
One type is the single bevel sliding compound miter saw, which allows you to make angled cuts in one direction. It’s a great option if you mostly work with materials that require simple angled cuts.
Another type is the dual bevel sliding compound miter saw, which allows you to make angled cuts in both directions without having to flip your workpiece. This type is perfect for intricate projects that require cuts from different angles.
Additionally, there are corded and cordless sliding compound miter saws available. The corded version provides consistent power, while the cordless version offers more portability.
Consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing the right type of sliding compound miter saw for you.
There are three key features you should look for in a sliding compound miter saw: a powerful motor, a large cutting capacity, and a reliable dust collection system.
A powerful motor is essential because it ensures that the saw can handle different materials and make clean cuts effortlessly.
A large cutting capacity allows you to work with larger pieces of wood and make angled cuts with ease. It gives you the flexibility to take on various projects without limitations.
Lastly, a reliable dust collection system is important for keeping your workspace clean and safe. It helps minimize dust and debris, ensuring better visibility and preventing respiratory issues.
When shopping for a sliding compound miter saw, make sure to prioritize these key features for a more efficient and enjoyable woodworking experience.
When considering a sliding compound miter saw, it’s important to understand how blade size and cutting capacity impact your woodworking projects.
The blade size determines the maximum width of the material that can be cut. A larger blade size allows you to cut wider boards and make longer cuts. On the other hand, a smaller blade size is suitable for smaller, more intricate projects.
Cutting capacity refers to the maximum height and depth of the material that can be cut. A saw with a larger cutting capacity is ideal for cutting thicker materials such as beams and lumber.
Understanding these factors will help you choose the right sliding compound miter saw that meets your specific project requirements.
Knowing the motor power and RPM of a sliding compound miter saw is crucial for determining its cutting efficiency and speed. When it comes to choosing the right saw for your projects, you need to consider these two factors.
The motor power is measured in amps and determines the saw’s cutting ability. A higher motor power means the saw can handle tougher materials and make smoother cuts.
Additionally, the RPM (revolutions per minute) indicates how fast the blade spins. A higher RPM means the saw will cut through material faster. However, it’s important to find a balance between motor power and RPM to ensure optimal performance.
You should always prioritize accuracy and precision in your woodworking projects, so having a solid fence system is essential.
A fence system acts as a guide, ensuring that your cuts are straight and consistent. It provides stability and support to the workpiece, preventing any unwanted movement during the cutting process.
With a reliable fence system, you can achieve clean and precise cuts every time. It also enhances safety by keeping your hands away from the blade and reducing the risk of kickback.
Look for a fence system that’s adjustable, allowing you to make precise measurements and angles. Additionally, make sure that it’s made of high-quality materials to ensure durability and stability.
To ensure optimal ergonomics and ease of use, prioritize handle and control placement, as it greatly affects the comfort and maneuverability of the sliding compound miter saw.
When using a miter saw, having the handle and controls in the right place is crucial for a comfortable and efficient operation. The handle should be positioned in a way that allows you to maintain a natural grip and have full control over the saw. It should be easily reachable and provide a secure grip to minimize the risk of accidents.
Similarly, the placement of the controls should be intuitive and within reach, enabling quick adjustments without straining your hand or arm.
When purchasing a sliding compound miter saw, it’s important to consider the dust collection system and safety features, such as a dust bag or extraction port, as well as blade guards and emergency stop switches, to ensure a cleaner and safer woodworking environment.
The dust collection system plays a crucial role in keeping your workspace clean and free from dust particles, which not only improves visibility but also prevents respiratory issues. Look for a saw that has a dust bag or an extraction port that can be connected to a vacuum system to effectively capture the dust generated during cutting.
Additionally, safety features like blade guards and emergency stop switches are essential to protect yourself from potential accidents. Blade guards provide a barrier between the blade and your hands, while emergency stop switches allow you to quickly stop the saw in case of an emergency.
Prioritize these features to create a safer and more enjoyable woodworking experience.
An important factor to consider when budgeting for your sliding compound miter saw is the price range of various models available. With so many options in the market, it’s crucial to determine how much you’re willing to spend.
Sliding compound miter saws can range in price from around $200 to over $1000, depending on the brand, features, and quality. It’s important to assess your needs and prioritize the features that are essential for your projects. Consider the size of the blade, cutting capacity, bevel angles, and power options.
While it may be tempting to opt for a cheaper model, investing in a higher-quality saw can provide better performance, durability, and accuracy. Ultimately, finding a balance between price and quality is key to selecting the right sliding compound miter saw for your budget.
Sliding Compound Miter Saw Maintenance, Proper Use and Safety
Use a sliding compound miter saw with a steady hand and a good grip.
Don’t be surprised when the tool starts to jerk and make very loud noises as the blade starts to spin. You should hold it down from the saw carriage and release its switch so the blade stops completely before you start raising it. Always keep a good grip on the workpiece until the saw blade completely stops.
Unplug the saw every time you’re changing the saw blade.
Avoid dangerous mishaps, unplug your saw before you change its blade. You must also unplug it when it’s not in use.
Check saw danger zone lines
Your fingers should be about 6 inches from the blade path. Check the safety line on the saw. Past this is the danger zone where your fingers can be accidentally sawed off.
Always wear safety gear
Just like other power saws, you must wear safety gear like goggles, face masks or respirator masks, work gloves, and earbuds to protect your hearing. Always use this type of saw in a well-lit area.
Never reach under a spinning saw blade
Always turn the saw off and unplug it before fixing the workpiece or reaching for anything underneath a moving blade.
The blade must come to a total stop before you lift it
A sliding compound miter saw should be at a complete stop before you lift the arm to make any adjustments. The blades should also be at a complete stop at every end of every cut before you lift the arm.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are the most frequently asked questions and answers about buying and using sliding compound miter saws.
What is the main difference between a sliding compound miter saw and a compound miter saw?
A sliding compound miter saw comes with rails so that the saw can slide more efficiently and cut wider materials. Meanwhile, compound miter saws don’t have rails and can only cut materials with limited sizes.
What is a sliding compound miter saw good at?
A sliding compound miter saw can make cuts at different angles. This saw comes with a blade on a swinging arm that can pivot from left to right for angled cuts. You can use a sliding compound miter saw to cut crown molding, door frames, picture frames, and window casings.
Are battery-powered sliding compound miter saws better than corded electric ones?
You can take a battery-powered sliding compound miter saw to the field or a remote worksite because you won’t have to rely on an electric outlet. However, like most batteries, the battery of these power saws can also wear off. It’s best to have spare batteries when using battery-operated power saws.
Our best sliding compound miter saw review has revealed a winner: the Dewalt DWS779 Sliding Compound Miter Saw. We recommend this 12-inch corded electric miter saw because of its impressive features, great versatility, and precise cutting system. This saw comes with a powerful motor plus durable blades to produce quick, clean, and efficient cuts. If you’re in the market for a good sliding compound miter saw then the Dewalt DWS779 could be the right one for you.