Are you tired of tape measures that constantly snag or give inconsistent readings?
Do you want to ensure that your measurements are always spot on, whether you’re building a piece of furniture, hanging artwork, or working on a construction site? Look no further – we’re here to help you find the ideal tape measure that suits your specific requirements.
We’ve done the research to provide you with a comprehensive review and a detailed buying guide for tape measures. Our mission is to provide you with the knowledge and insights necessary to make informed decisions when selecting the best tape measure for your needs.
Stanley FatMax Tape Measure
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- The FatMax tape will fit any tool belt or toolbox.
- This measuring tape has a double impact case, is very dependable, and works longer.
- This comes with large and easy-to-read markers.
The Stanley Hand Tools FatMax is a tape measure that’s very popular among woodworkers and contractors. It is a measuring tape that you can place on your tool belt or carry around in your hand. It is one of the most practical measuring tapes with a strong high-impact case.
It also comes with a BladeArmor hook which improves the measuring tape life as it prevents scratches, dents, and marks. The FatMax is easy to read with numbers that are large enough to see even by someone hard at seeing. And most of all, the Stanley FatMax is very accurate, and therefore you can use this on different projects at home or the worksite.
- Dimensions – 4.5 x 4.6 x 7.1 inches. 1.2 pounds
- Blade Length – 14 feet reach
- Special Features – the case is very durable and high-impact, blade coated BladeArmor, numbers are large, easy to read.
- Easy to hold with just one hand.
- This is also easy to fit on your toolbelt.
- It comes with a high-impact shell.
- Long-lasting measuring tape.
- Weighs more than a pound.
- Is too cumbersome with people with small hands.
DEWALT (DWHT34036L) Tape Measure
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- This is a retractable tape measure for easy 5x quicker blade rewind.
- Comes with a rust-resistant covering.
- With a dirt removal window to remove all dirt and dust found inside the device.
The Dewalt Tape Measuring is a precise and very efficient measuring tape that can extend up to 100 feet! This is a small tape measuring but is capable of retracting faster and safer thanks to its efficient gears. It has a smooth and faster 5x rewinds action so the blade slides in faster.
This tape measure has a number of great features. First, it has a spring-loaded carabiner so it’s easier to transport or carry to the worksite. Just clip it on your tool belt and you’re ready to go anywhere.
The outer coating is rust-resistant which prolongs the tape’s life. It also comes with a convenient dirt-removal opening which allows dust and dirt to escape. Finally, along the side is a heavy-duty stainless steel arm that you can crank up to pull the tape in. This tape measure is great for all-around home use and job site or worksite use.
- Dimensions – 9.31 x 8.63 x 8.5 inches, 1.1 pounds
- Blade Length – 100 feet long
- Special Features – blade release button, carabiner attachment, dust resistance, dirt removal window, belt clip, and crank arm
- This is a lightweight measuring tape.
- Retracts faster and pulls out quicker.
- With an easy-to-use spring-loaded carabiner.
- Comes with a rust-resistant surface
- With a small window that removes dust and dirt inside the casing.
- With a crank arm for easy retraction of the tape.
- Complaints that the belt is too thin or flimsy.
MulWark 26ft Tape Measure
Star Rating: 4.6 out of 5
- This measuring tape is made from a flexible and retractable material.
- This tape is impact-resistant, chemical-free, odor-free, and rust-proof.
- This is a versatile tape measure with a magnetic hook.
The MulWark tape measure is a portable and versatile measuring tape that easily retracts and can be taken and used anywhere at home or the worksite. This tape measure is impact-resistant and is rust-resistant so you can use it in any weather or climate.
This tape measure has a convenient magnetic lock. It can stick to any metallic material with this magnetic lock tip. It is double-sided and is easy to read. The magnetic tip lets you measure long distances and can be used to pick up metal items like nails, screws, and bolts.
Expect accurate measurements with MulWark’s True Zero measurements. It comes with a magnetic claw that moves back to deduct thickness which is helpful if you’re taking inside measurements.
Meanwhile, the tape measure casing is covered with soft rubber so you can easily grip it whenever you’re taking measurements. It is one of the toughest tape measures with a lifetime warranty. This gives you true value for your money.
- Dimensions – 5 x 4.3 x 2 inches, 14.24 ounces
- Blade Length – 26 feet
- Special Features – dual-sided blade, magnetic hook, rewind spring, metric and imperial measurements, nylon wrap blade, rubber over-molding cover
- This is made from premium-grade materials.
- It is rustproof, impact-resistant, chemical, and odor-free.
- The magnetic lock makes distance measurements easier plus can pick up small metal objects.
- The case is comfortable and easy to use.
- Complaints that the tape is not as durable.
Komelon 433IEHV Tape Measure
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- This measuring tape has an ergonomic design with a very durable chrome case.
- This comes with a convenient slide lock.
- The blade is very strong with a nylon cover.
With the Komelon measuring tape, you can take both the inches and engineering scale on the tape. This is a professional tape measure that offers high visibility which helps when you’re trying to measure something outdoors or in dimly lit areas.
The tape case is ergonomically designed and thus will always be comfortable and easy to hold. It comes with a slide lock so you can hold the measurement on hand as you take notes or adjust your position. The blade is very durable as it’s coated with nylon material. You can guarantee longer use as this tape measure is designed to last for many, many uses.
- Dimensions – 6.75 x 4.5 x 2 inches, 1.15 pounds
- Blade Length – 33 feet
- Special Features – high visibility, slide lock, nylon coating, with an ergonomic design
- This tape measure has an ergonomic design.
- The chrome case is indestructible.
- The blade is strong and will never fade thanks to its nylon coating.
- It is easier to see the numbers and markings on the tape.
- This tape measure is too heavy to use.
- Does not come with a hook or a strap
CRAFTSMAN Tape Measure 26-Foot (CMHT37726S)
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- This tape measure is made in the U.S.
- The numbers and markings are easier to see.
- There is a magnetic hook to connect to different surfaces.
The Craftsman tape measure CMHT377265 is a measuring tape made in the U.S. This is a retractable measuring tape with a very strong, very durable casing and comes with ergonomic edges so it’s easier to grasp or hold.
The tape measure is available in 16,25 and 30-foot lengths and each one has an efficient magnetic hook. This hook will hold onto different materials including ductwork, metallic studs, metal pipes, conduits, and other metallic objects.
The blade comes with large printed numbers so it’s very easy to check your measurements. The blade is also coated with nylon so the printed numbers will never fade and the surface can resist scratching. This Craftsman tape measure weighs less than a pound and is one of the most durable.
- Dimensions – 6.5 x 4.06 x 1.78 inches, 0.97 pounds
- Blade Length – 11 feet
- Special Features – magnetic hook, wider blade, larger numbers, with blade coating
- Comes with a magnetic hook so you can hook it to different ferrous objects.
- Gives you quick and very accurate measurements thanks to its large numbers.
- With a durable blade with excellent nylon coating.
- The case has an ergonomic design for an easy grip.
- Does not come with a strap.
- Complaints that this is too heavy to carry around.
Zabiki Tape Measure
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- The tape measure casing is rubberized making it shock-absorbent.
- The numbers and markings are very easy to read, hard-wearing with longer life.
- Comes with double-sided markers for all kinds of projects.
The Zabiki tape measure is a retractable tape measure with dual side measurements. It is a 25 feet tape measure that’s practical to use at home and also in different industries like home renovations, engineering, architecture, woodworking, and many more.
This measuring tape casing has a rubberized outer layer that makes it indestructible. You can drop it from a height and it will still keep its shape! The numbers and markings on the tape are also easy to read and won’t wear off easily.
The end of the tape is a magnetic hook that can stick to any ferrous metal. You may also use this to pick up small metal objects to keep your working area clean and clear.
- Dimensions – 3.1 x 3.1 x 1.8 inches, 11.3 ounces
- Blade Length – 25 feet
- Special Features – rubberized casing, bold and large numbers, double-sided blade, 365-day warranty
- This tape measure makes measurements easier.
- It is a professional-grade tape measure.
- It comes with a strong casing, with a rubberized coating.
- The numbers and markings are easier to read.
- The print on the blade will last a long time.
- The markers are double-sided in inch and metric measurements.
- Complaints that the tape won’t hold stiff, only up to 4 feet.
- Complaints that the numbers and marks are not as big as they expect.
beyond by BLACK+DECKER Tape Measure Bundle
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- This is a self-locking measuring tape with GripRelease Technology.
- This is designed for one-hand operation.
- Very durable, accurate, and very easy to read.
The Black+Decker beyond is a tape measure bundle with a 12-foot measuring tape and a 16-foot tape in a pack. These tapes offer better control with a self-locking feature so that the blade remains extended as you measure anything. The GripRelease Technology offers smooth and safe retraction; it won’t snap and hurt your hands.
These tapes are made for one-hand use. The case is coated with textured rubber for a better and safer grip. This resists impact and will always protect the metal tape measure from dents, marks, and scratches.
These Black+Decker tape measures are easy to read and are very accurate thanks to their True Zero hook. This provides very precise measurements as it sticks to different materials with ease. You’ll get more value out of your money with this tape measure pack. It is great for DIY projects and various tasks at home. You can use one at home and the other one at the job site.
- Dimensions – 7.91 x 3.54 x 2.2 inches, 14.2 ounces
- Blade Length – 12 or 16 feet
- Special Features – no-slip grip, true 0 end hook, tylon blade coating, self-locking, textured rubberized coating.
- This tape measure offers better control and accuracy.
- The rubberized coating creates a secure and comfortable grip.
- This tape measure has a longer blade life thanks to its tylon coating.
- This tape measure value pack gives you more value for your money.
- Complaints that the blades don’t last long.
- Complaints that the hook is too flimsy.
Lufkin (L1116B) Tape Measure
Star Rating: 4.3 out of 5
- This tape measure has large, bright numbers and markings.
- The tape end has a convenient hook to attach to different materials easily.
- With an impact-resistant casing.
Just one look is enough to say that the Lufkin tape measure L1116B is durable and will last a long time. The tape measure casing comes with a textured grip to help you hold it carefully as you take measurements. The lock keeps the blade steady so you can read the numbers.
The blade is 16 feet long, enough to use at home to measure furniture, room size, and more. Compared to other tape measures on our list, the blade is black while the numbers and the markings are bright yellows. This allows you to see better even when there’s minimal light.
The hook at the end is larger so it can firmly grasp different materials. There is a large hole at one corner of the Lufkin tape measure where you can thread a rope or a carabiner system. This way, you can easily hook the tape measure to your tool belt.
This tape measure is shockproof, rustproof, and very accurate. The black blade stands out making it one of the best tape measures for home or worksite use.
- Blade Length – 16 feet
- Special Features – easy to read numbers and markings, safety lock, hook at the end, impact-resistant casing
- With a strong and durable cover/casing.
- The blade is sturdy, with readable numbers and markings.
- You can hook this up in your tool belt or comfortably hold it in your hand.
- This is an accurate tape measure.
- The hook helps make steady measurements.
- This tape measure extends only up to 16 feet.
- Complaints that the blade easily bends.
Tape Measure Buying Guide
Here are some tips and guide for finding the perfect tape measure for you.
Choose a tape measure with a good measuring length.
Tape measures come in different lengths with some at 16 feet while some can come at 100 feet. Because of the different varieties, you should choose the right length to fit your project.
Select a tape measure with a good hook type
The end of the measuring tape is a small device called a hook. The hook varies in design and mostly, cheap tape measures have a very small, flimsy hook. Always choose a tape measure with a strong, metal hook capable of holding onto different materials with ease. Test it and see if it can withstand a strong pull.
Pick the most accurate tape measure for the job.
There are three standards of accuracy in tape measures. Tape measures found in cheap stores and bargain hardware stores are mostly unclassified but those that are used by professionals have the following classification:
- Class I are the most accurate and are used in very sensitive engineering projects.
- Class II tape measures are for everyday professional use tape measures with a strong pulling force and are accurate to a very small degree.
- Class III tape measures are mostly used by surveyors and are usually very rare nowadays as manufacturers have improved the quality and accuracy of their products.
- Metric units or imperial units?
Some tape measures offer metric unit measurements only while some in imperial units. Still, there are convenient measuring tapes capable of providing both metric and imperial measurements.
Three materials are commonly used in constructing tape measures: steel, stainless steel, and fiberglass. Steel is very common, strong, and offers great value. Stainless steel is corrosion resistant and has great quality. Fiberglass is flexible, stretch resistant, and heat resistant. This is the best type of tape measure for measuring items in dirty or muddy environments.
Blade quality is possibly the most important part of buying a tape measure. The blade must be sturdy enough to hold stiff as you take measurements. The numbers and markings must stay visible for a long time and should be coated with a protective film.
The blade should not bend, warp, lose shape easily. Remember, a measuring tape can only be accurate if the blade remains stiff and unbent.
A good tape measure must have a convenient way to fasten to your tool belt. A carabiner-style system or a strap would do nicely. Meanwhile, the lock should work smoothly; you won’t have to press too hard to activate it.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are the most frequently asked questions and their corresponding answers regarding purchasing and using a tape measure.
How do you read a tape measure?
To read a tape measure, locate the markings first. On a traditional tape measure, the largest marking is the inch while the smaller numbers are the centimeters. As increments decrease the length of the mark also decreases.
Why is a tape measure useful?
A tape measure is one of the most common tools used to measure different materials. You can carry a tape measure in your pocket or inside a tool kit. You can use a tape measure to get exact measurements of a room, a piece of furniture, a wall, or even an area of land or property.
How many inches are in a tape measure?
The measurements in a standard tape measure are 16 marks to an inch. You can measure up to 1/16th of an inch. Meanwhile, some tape measures can measure 32 to 64 marks to an inch.