If you want to perfectly cut molding, window casings, door frames, and picture frames, you must have a miter saw in your woodworking arsenal. A miter saw can also create straight cuts and a variety of angled cuts making your projects look like it was done by a pro.
In our best miter saw review, the Dewalt DWS715 miter saw outranks all the other miter saws because of its precise mitering system and exclusive machined base for adequate fence support. If you’re looking for a good miter saw, consider the Dewalt DWS715 or our other top picks.
Star Rating: 4.9 out of 5
Best 12-inch Miter Saw from Dewalt
- This miter saw comes with a heavy-duty stainless steel detent plate with 14 positive stops.
- With an accurate miter system and fence support.
- With a powerful 15 Amp motor capable of cutting tough lumber up to 4000 RPM.
The Dewalt 12-inch miter saw DWS715 is a powerful saw with a 15-amp motor. It is a single-bevel compound miter saw with a versatile stainless steel detent plate. This allows this saw to create very accurate cuts on different materials.
The DWS715 has 14 positive stops. The machined base support keeps the material in place so you can make varied precise cuts. It comes with a tall sliding fence that can support up to 5.5 inches base and bevels from 0 to 45 degrees left and 0 to 3 degrees right. At 90 degrees it can crosscut 2×8 inches and 2×6 inches at 45 degrees.
This is a corded electric saw, easy to transport from your home to the job site as it’s lighter than other miter saws. It is equipped with a 12-inch carbide-tipped saw blade to make seamless cuts on different materials.
- Dimensions – 26.7 x 21.85 x 18.9 inches
- Power and speed – 15 Amp motor, up to 4,000 RPM
- Cutting power – up to 6.5 inches base molding and 5.25 inches crown molding nested
- Accessories – 12-inch carbide-tipped blade, dust bag, wrench, and vertical clamp
- Special Features – with a stainless steel detent plate, 14 positive stops, machined base, precise mitering system, fence support, bevels at varying degrees, cuts large pieces of lumber according to cross-cut capacities.
- One of the most powerful yet lightweight miter saws from Dewalt.
- With a variety of beveling and cross-cutting features.
- Can make very accurate cuts even on larger workpieces.
- With a very sharp carbide-tipped blade to keep cuts smooth, fast, and seamless.
- Does not come with a stand.
- Problems with using the dust collector system.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Dual-Bevel Sliding Miter Saw from Delta
- Provides a shadow cutting guide line for accurate cuts on any workpiece.
- With easy-to-use push-button controls.
- With an ergonomic molded handle and a trigger for your left or right hand.
The Delta 12-inch dual beveling sliding miter saw is a very accurate miter saw made for home shop use or job site use. It is a consistent saw with a strong corded electric motor with 4000 RPM speeds. This tool allows you to control your cuts with one hand thanks to its front miter controls with a convenient push-button detent override plus front bevel release for easy movements.
The handle is easy to grip and use with a molded body. You’ll get a full-size trigger for easy right or left-handed operation. This Delta miter saw has a dual bevel at 47 degrees to the left and 47 degrees to the right and 7 positive stops at the most widely-used angles.
This Delta 12-inch miter saw is lighter than most miter saws. At just 57 pounds, this saw is easier to transport to the job site or to set up at home.
- Dimensions – 25.5 x 30 x 21.5 inches, 57 pounds
- Power and speed – 15 Amp motor with 4,000 RPM
- Cutting power -7.5 inches crown and 6.5 standing-base moldings
- Accessories – clamp, extension arms
- Special Features – 18-inch crosscut capabilities, 12-inch carbide-tipped blade, extending arm, front miter controls, miter detent override controls, front bevel release lever, made from military-grade aluminum
- Offers a variety of angles at the most popular stops.
- With a strong and consistent corded electric motor.
- With an easy-grip, ergonomic handle.
- Easy to adjust and use.
- Does not come with a table or base
- With limited accessories available.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Sliding Miter Saw Kit from Craftsman
- This miter saw has a powerful motor that can cut through hardwood, 2-dimensional lumber, and baseboards.
- With an LED cutting line to ensure accurate cuts all the time.
- This is a battery-powered miter saw.
The Craftsman V20 is a 7 ¼ – inch sliding miter saw. This is a cordless miter saw, powered by a durable lithium-ion battery. With a reliable 3800 RPM motor, it can cut different materials like baseboard, hardwood, trims, and 2-dimensional lumber.
The V20 is versatile with 8-inch crosscutting capabilities at 90-degrees and 5.50 inches crosscutting at 45 degrees. It can also vertically cut nested crowns and baseboards. To help you cut more accurately, this Craftsman saw has an LED cut line system.
This saw is accurate and quick. It is also lightweight and with side carrying handles, you can take this from your shop at home to your job site.
- Dimensions – 25.59 x 19.06 x 14.41 inches, 21.8 pounds
- Power and speed – Lithium-ion battery, 3,000 RPM motor
- Cutting power – 80-inch capacity, 90-degree crosscut
- Accessories – Lithium-ion battery, fast battery charger, carbide-tipped saw blade, wrench, clamp, dust bag
- Special Features – sliding features, LED cut positioning line, 9 miter detent stops, with side carrying handles
- Battery-operated, you can take it anywhere, even on remote job sites.
- With versatile sliding capabilities.
- Produces nested crowns and vertical baseboards.
- Makes quick and precise miter detent stops. Adjustments are easy.
- A single full charge can give you more than 580 cuts.
- This is a portable saw; it’s lightweight and easy to carry.
- This saw comes with all the accessories you need.
- Like other battery-operated power tools, the battery can wear off over time.
- Does not have a base table
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Best Corded Compact Miter Saw from Bosch
- With the unique Bosch Axial-Glide System for wider crosscuts and enhanced workpiece alignment.
- Can cut at all angles and with better control of the workpiece.
- With a compact design and thus, takes up less space compared to other miter saws.
The BOSCH CM10GD is a compact miter saw with a corded electric motor with 15 Amp power and a 10-inch 60 teeth saw blade. This is an accurate saw equipped with an Axial-Glide System that lets you make wider crosscuts with enhanced alignment.
This BOSCH saw is very convenient with easy-to-use front metal bevel saw controls. Meanwhile, the square-lock fence offers precise, easy adjustments even when you’re in the middle of a project. It also has a dust collection system plus a vacuum adapter so cleanups are easy and dust is removed from your working area immediately.
The CM10GD is a compact saw with easy-to-use controls ad different angles. It comes with a crown chop locking mechanism that keeps the head in position for enhanced cutting power for nested crowns and upright molding.
You will also love its compact design minus the sliding rail system which takes up a lot of space. This lets you use this miter saw even in tight workplaces. And even with its impressive cutting power, you will love its form-fitting ambidextrous handle. This trigger handle is soft, with an ergonomic style that eases operator fatigue. The handle also keeps the line of sight clear as you use the miter saw.
- Dimensions – 32 x 26.5 x 20.5 inches, 64 pounds
- Power and speed – 15 Amp motor at 4,800 RPM
- Cutting power – 12 inches horizontal, 5.5 inches vertical against the fence, 6 inches crown against the fence at 45 degrees
- Accessories –60-tooth saw blade, clamp, dust bag
- Special Features –
- This is a very accurate saw with the Axial Glide System.
- With enhanced alignment even for wider crosscuts.
- Offers better control, maximum chopping capacities, and wider reach.
- This is a compact saw that will fit even in tight workplaces.
- It has a comfortable, easy-grip handle
- With safety features.
- No laser cutting guide.
- Complaints about the angle ranges.
- Lacks some accessories
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Single Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw from WEN
- This miter saw comes with a powerful 15 Amp motor powered by a lithium-ion battery.
- With a Class II laser guide that will help you make precise cuts all the time.
- Can cut through even the toughest wood.
The WEN MM10011 is a single-bevel compact compound sliding miter saw with a convenient laser guide. This is a very accurate miter saw with a 15-amp motor that can cut wooden boards up to a foot wide and 3.5 inches thick.
It can miter 45 degrees to the right or left with 9 positive stops and bevel at 45 degrees to the left. You will love the Class II laser guide that will help you make straight, accurate cuts each time. It can cut baseboards and crown moldings like a pro and with its 10-inch 40 teeth carbide tip saw blade, you can rip through anything from wood to plastics.
- Dimensions – 20.7 x 20.6 x 16 inches, 37.8 pounds
- Power and speed – lithium-ion battery, 15 Amp motor, 4500 RPM
- Cutting power –miters 45 degrees in either direction, bevels 45 degrees to the left. 9 positive miter stops 7.5 inches crown molding nested and 6.75 inches baseboard vertical capacities.
- Accessories – 10-inch 40 teeth carbide-teeth blade, table extensions, dust bah, dust port adapter, and clamp
- Special Features –with Class II laser guide, 9 miter stops, ergonomic controls
- This miter saw comes with a powerful corded motor.
- Can cut thicker and wider wooden boards with ease.
- Comes with a laser guide for easy and accurate cuts.
- Uses a very sharp blade that can eat up wood, metal, plastics, and other similar materials.
- Complaints about the side extenders.
- Complaints that the laser guide is not accurate.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw from Metabo
- This compound miter saw has a powerful 15 Amp motor for cutting different materials with ease.
- Comes with a laser market system to improve accuracy.
- With larger sliding fences to tackle more intricate jobs.
The Metabo HPT sliding compound miter saw is a compact saw with a double bevel, powerful motor, and easy-to-use sliding fences. Metabo HPT is the new name for Hitachi tools and so far, it has lived up to its reputation. This miter saw can tackle all kinds of cutting jobs with extreme accuracy. It comes with a saw head that can slide on fixed saw rails which reduces the need to have a lot of space to use the tool.
This Metabo HPT miter saw also comes with all you need including a dust bag, vice, wrench, and a 12-inch 60 teeth saw blade.
- Dimensions – 26.6 x 24 x 23.4 inches, 77.8 pounds
- Power and speed – 15 Amp motor, 4,000 RPM
- Cutting power – flexible cutting angles, larger fence height
- Accessories –12-inch 60 teeth saw blade, vice, box wrench, and dust bag
- Special Features – easy slide system, laser marker, larger sliding fence, 0 to 57-degree miter angles
- With a powerful, hardworking motor.
- Can take all types of cutting angles with ease.
- No need to provide rear clearance thanks to its new design.
- With large sliding fences to allow you to cut taller crown moldings vertically.
- With laser marker guide.
- Complaints that the laser guide is very hard to see.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Dual-Bevel Sliding Miter Saw from Evolution Power Tools
- This is a multi-material miter saw because of its tungsten carbide tip blade.
- Can cut through aluminum, steel, wood, plastics, and wood with nails.
- Very accurate and laser guiding features.
The Evolution R255SMSDB+ is a 15 Amp sliding miter saw that comes with a laser guide and a multi-material saw blade. This can cut through materials like wood, wood with nails, aluminum, steel, and plastic. It has a 15-Amp motor with an enhanced blade and gearbox system that helps improve blade life and machine power.
The laser guide makes this Evolution miter saw more accurate. It can cut at intricate angles and all the common angles with ease. And compared with other miter saws, this Evolution saw has a larger cutting capacity at 11 13/16 x 3 ½ inches.
- Dimensions – 22.5 x 21.5 x 15.2 inches, 45.1 pounds
- Power and speed – 15 Amp motor, high torque motor
- Cutting power – 11 13/16 inches slide, 0 to 45 degrees
- Accessories – multi-material blade, dust bag
- Special Features – with a taller fence and neck, quick-release clamps, carrying handles, with extended power cable, can cut through mild steel, plastic, wood and plastic composite, and wood with nails.
- Comes with a larger cutting capacity.
- With an ergonomic handle and trigger.
- With a powerful motor and strong tungsten carbide tipped blade.
- Can cut through different materials.
- With a laser guide system for more accurate cuts.
- Problems with the sliding arm.
- Does not come with a table or base.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Cordless Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Can cut according to the common miter angles for fast and accurate cuts.
- Compatible with Power Share tools batteries.
- This is a full-size compact sliding miter saw.
The Workx WX845L.9 is a cordless sliding compound miter saw that runs on Power Share batteries. It is easy to use with preset detents for faster and more accurate cuts. You can use the batteries of your other Workx tools that support the Power Share system.
This is a compact saw even with full-sized miter capabilities. This miter saw has a versatile bevel adjustment but will not eat up a lot of space on your working station.
- Dimensions – 28.54 x 19.09 x 18.9 inches, 21 pounds
- Power and speed – lithium battery, 3,600 RPM
- Accessories – spanner, 40 teeth saw blade, dust bag
- Special Features – with preset detent, with Power Share battery features, full-size sliding saw, with precise bevel adjustments
- With preset detents
- You can use Power Share batters of other Workx tools.
- This is compact, easy to adjust, and requires very little space.
- Comes with a full-sized sliding miter.
- No laser guide.
- Batteries can also wear off over time.
- Low speeds at 3600 RPM
What’s the best way to safely use a miter saw?
Read the miter saw owner’s manual
Check the miter saw owner’s manual before you start any project. All miter saws may look the same but some come with special features like safety locks, ergonomic handles, and more. Take note of the power rating, cutting depth, cutting angles, and more. Familiarize yourself with the parts, functions, and accessories of the miter saw before use.
Always learn the applications and miter saw limitations before use.
Just like any other type of power saw, miter saws have specific limitations. Knowing these will help you gauge if you have the right material for your project and the right cutting equipment as well.
Always wear safety gear.
Wear safety gear including goggles, a safety mask or a respirator mask, work gloves, earplugs, and others. Use this saw in a well-lit area and prefer an even table or surface to keep your cuts accurate. Attach the saw securely on a level workbench or a rigid table or frame.
Use the tool at waist height.
At this level, you’ll be able to easily access the tool. Also, you can easily check the stock material and make appropriate adjustments.
Make the necessary adjustments before you start cutting
Measure the material, mark your measurements and adjust the gauges on the tool before use. Power off the saw before changing the saw blade.
The following are the most frequently asked questions regarding purchase and use of a miter saw
What is a miter saw good for?
A miter saw is great for cutting material from different angles. The miter saw blade is mounted on a swinging arm which can move left or right to create a variety of angled cuts. Miter saws can be used on picture frames, crown molding, window casings, and door frames.
Is a miter saw similar to a chop saw?
Miter saws can look similar to a chop saw but both have different functions. The miter saw can cut straight and can rotate to produce a variety of angled cuts or mitered cuts. On the other hand, chop saws can only cut or “chop” and make 90-degree angled cuts. Chop saws are also larger and have a more powerful motor.
How thick can a 10-inch miter saw cut?
A miter saw with a 10-inch blade can cut at right angles on a board that’s 5.5 inches in width which works with 2×6 inches lumber. This saw can also cut a 2×4 at 45 degrees.
What is the best miter saw for home use?
The best overall miter saw for home use is the Dewalt 12-inch double-bevel saw. This is rated as the best saw for all-around crosscutting and trimming at home. It is powerful and very precise.
Based on our list of the best miter saw for 2021, we recommend the Dewalt DWS715, a powerful 12-inch miter saw. This single-bevel compound miter saw has the best features and versatile cutting capabilities making it the favorite of many woodworkers. It is also a corded electric saw so you’ll always have optimum power to use.
The DWS715 is the easiest to transport as it’s lighter compared to other full-sized miter saws. There may be some drawbacks to its use but we are confident that all the great features and advantages make up for these. The Dewalt DWS715 may be the home shop or job site miter saw you’re looking for.