Keep your tools in tip-top shape by placing these in a tool chest. The best tool chest will protect your tools from dirt and rust plus, will help you be more organized. Take a look at the top tool chests you can get online this year.
Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Best Garage Glider Tool Chest from WEN
- Made from very durable materials with vinyl padding to protect your tools.
- Comes with extra storage slots for smaller tools and accessories.
- With magnetic, foldable trays so you can keep the on-hand tools you need.
- Dimensions – 16.5 x 27 x 16 inches, 27.2 pounds
- Material – heavy-duty metal with vinyl cushions
- Number of Drawers – 3
- Special Features – multiple storage options, 2 ½ – inch casters, ball-bearing casters, magnetic trays with a fold-away design, onboard storage slots
- Accessories – partition systems
The WEN 73015 Garage Glider is a convenient sliding tool chest that doubles as a seat. This toolbox is made from a very durable steel material that will keep all your tools safe and organized. It has 3 drawers with multi-layer padding to protect your tools from scratches and marks. You can also keep your saws, blades, and tooltips sharp.
Inside these durable drawers are 16 onboard slots to further organize smaller items and accessories. You can keep screws, nails, fasteners, bolts, and bits so these are ready whenever you need them.
This tool chest also comes with ball-bearing casters that can swivel easily. You can move this chest in any direction you wish to go. Along the box’s sides are foldable storage trays with magnetic surfaces to keep screws, nails, and bolts as you work. This WEN chest also doubles as a seat and can hold up to 350 pounds of weight with ease.
- This is a very durable toolbox with convenient drawers.
- You can easily keep metal accessories and fasteners with magnetic trays.
- With ball-bearing caster wheels so it can slide to wherever you need to work.
- With interior padding to protect your tools.
- This toolbox has limited storage.
- Not for keeping large tools.
- No way to adjust the height
Star Rating: 3.7 out of 5
Best Heavy Duty Tool Cart from TANKSTORM
- This is a rolling toolbox from cold-rolled stainless steel.
- With a smooth powder-coated finish to prevent scratching and increase resistance from chemicals.
- With two swivel caster wheels with brakes and two wheels with no brakes.
- Dimensions – 24.2 x 13 x 30 inches, 51.9 pounds
- Material – steel metal
- Number of Drawers – 5
- Special Features – security locks, ball-bearing sliders, side tray, swivel caster wheels, powder-coated finish, solid top, heavy-duty side handle.
- Accessories – hook accessory, back panel (these should be ordered separately from the toolbox)
The TANKSTORM TZ35-BK is a rolling tool chest of drawers. This chest with 5 drawers is made from top-quality, very strong cold-rolled steel and has a powder coating to prevent scratches and chemical wear.
It offers a lot of storage space. Aside from traditional hand tools, you can also keep heavy and expensive power tools in any of its 5 drawers. These drawers come with a locking system so all your tools are secure when not in use. Meanwhile, it has very durable swivel caster wheels with brakes. You can move this cart to anywhere you need to work.
This TANKSTORM metal drawer cart comes in three colors: red, blue, and black. It is very heavy at 52.1 pounds but with the sturdy wheels, it’s easier to roll in the workplace.
- This is made from high-quality materials.
- It is very durable while the powder finish keeps it scratch-free.
- You can lock the drawers for safety.
- This is easy to move with its caster wheels.
- This tool chest still has limited space.
- This needs some assembly.
Star Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Best Extra Large Tool Box from DEWALT
- This is a strong, durable structural box with a spacious interior.
- Offers inner vertical storage ideal for keeping hand tools.
- Wit side latches so you can stack up to different storage modules.
- Dimensions – 21.75 x 14.37 x 16.12 inches, 13.51 pounds
- Material – structural foam
- Number of Drawers – none
- Special Features – 4mm thick toolbox walls, water seal, vertical storage, easy to carry handle, ToughSystem line compatible
- Accessories – storage trays
The DEWALT DWST08204 toolbox is a tough tool-carrying case. It is made from strong materials and offers a large space to keep your tools safe and organized. You also get convenient vertical storage for your tools so these are easier to remove and use right away.
This chest comes with latches found along the sides so it’s easier to stack with other similar storage systems. This box has an IP65 rating so it’s protected from dust, rust, and dirt. It comes with 4 mm thick walls so these are very durable and can withstand water splashes. The brackets are easy to configure while a central locking system secures the chest on the frame.
- This is a robust toolbox.
- It has a large interior tool space and vertical storage.
- With side latches so you can stock it on top of another similar box.
- With side handles for easy transport.
- With an IP65 rating.
- With a locking mechanism to keep your tools safe.
- The plastic case is not very durable.
- Complaints about the toolbox shape and lid.
Star Rating: 4.2 out of 5
Best Rolling Tool Box with Locks and Drawers from Keter
- This is a weather-resistant toolbox made from very durable materials.
- With a locking system to secure all your tools when you’re away.
- This is easy to take anywhere thanks to its easy-to-roll wheels.
- Dimensions – 23.5 x 22.1 x 11.3 inches, 23.6 pounds
- Material – polypropylene
- Number of Drawers – 5
- Special Features – locking system, caster wheels, large bottom drawer storage
- Accessories – removable bins
The Keter rolling toolbox is made from polypropylene which is very strong and durable. It won’t rust, dent or peel, unlike steel drawers. You can keep the drawers secure with the chest’s central locking system. It’s portable, and easy to transport because of its very strong caster wheels. You can roll this anywhere inside your garage or shed so you can work on your projects with ease.
This rolling chest comes with a large tool and accessories bottom storage drawer. Here you can keep your drill, saw, wrenches, and other large tools. You’ll get removable bins to keep smaller tools and parts. You can work on different projects at home, in your car, or in your woodworking shop.
- This is strong and very durable.
- It’s not as heavy as steel tool chests.
- With a central locking system to keep tools safe.
- With large tool storage at the bottom drawer.
- With removable bins to organize smaller items including nuts, bolts, nails, and screws.
- This is made from plastic.
- Does not offer any modular storage sections.
Star Rating: 4.3 out of 5
Best Toolbox Organizer and Tool Storage from Stalwart
- This is an easy-to-carry and transport toolbox with nylon wheels and a fold-away handle.
- With small components and tools compartments, trays, and a deep bottom compartment.
- Comes with cable hooks to hold the tape and other small supplies.
- Dimensions – 17.5 x 10 x 24.5 inches, 11.05 pounds.
- Material – metal, polypropylene
- Number of Drawers – 1 large bottom drawer, drawer with multiple compartments
- Special Features – portable, nylon wheels, fold-away handle, cable hooks
- Accessories – extra small boxes
The Stalwart rolling toolbox is very convenient to use especially when you need to travel with your tools. This has a rigid construction made from polypropylene and some metal which will retain its shape even when used daily. The large nylon wheels let you take it anywhere while the fold-away handle makes it easier to transport.
You’ll get 24 small parts with two removable trays and a deep compartment. There are cable hooks at the back to hold extension cords, tape rolls, and other supplies. The storage box has a lock at the top and sides but won’t lock securely.
- This box rolls to where you want to work.
- The box has space for small to large tools.
- The box at the bottom has a lot of storage space.
- This is made from very durable materials.
- The cable hooks at the back will hold extension cords neatly in place.
- It is easy to travel with this toolbox.
- You can’t lock this toolbox or use a padlock.
- You’ll get only 1 pair of cable hooks.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Mobile Chest from STANLEY
- With a huge, easy-grip steel handle that you can pull out and takedown.
- This is a portable tool chest you can take anywhere.
- With heavy-duty plastic wheels.
- Dimensions – 18.9 x 20.47 x 34.25 inches, 15.8 ounces
- Material – alloy steel, nickel-plated latches
- Number of Drawers or Compartments – 1
- Special Features – large capacity, mobile toolbox, lockable, easy, soft-grip handle, rubber-coated plastic wheels
- Accessories – none
The Stanley 037025H is a mobile tool chest made of steel alloy. You can take this anywhere because of its large wheels and easy-grip pull-out handle. When you’re at the worksite, push the handle down and simply use this as a toolbox.
This is a deep storage container that you can use to keep all kinds of tools including large power tools and hand tools. The spacious tote tray helps you keep even small accessories and tool parts. Meanwhile, this chest has heavy-duty wheels that you can roll even in tough environments. Your tools are safe and sound with this lockable tool chest. The locks are easy to use and are made of heavy-duty stainless metal that will never rust or bend.
- You can easily take this tool chest wherever.
- This is made from very durable material.
- The grooves along the lid keep the unit stable.
- The heavy-duty plastic wheels can roll on any surface with ease.
- The handle is easy to hold and pull.
- This is very spacious so you can take even large hand and power tools.
- Complaints that this should not be overloaded or it will lose shape.
- Complaints that it lacks support along with its critical areas.
Star Rating: 4.3 out of 5
Best Tool Cabinet with 10 Drawers from CRAFTSMAN
- This is a very durable double-wall tool chest.
- It has a very high load rating of up to 1500 pounds.
- Offers great value for your money with a 10-year warranty.
- Dimensions – 41 x 18 x 37.5 inches, 170.6 pounds
- Material – all-steel construction
- Number of Drawers – 10
- Special Features – ball-bearing slider drawers, soft close latches, reinforced caster wheels, 10-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- Accessories – drawer liners, socket organizer
If you need a larger toolbox or chest, the CRAFTSMAN tool cabinet is far the best choice. It is made from alloy steel, the strongest material to keep your tools safe, secure, and ready for your next tasks. It comes with 10 drawers with several large drawers to keep your large tools. There is one extra-large drawer to hold bulky tools too.
The drawers can hold 100 pounds weight and are attached to efficient ball-bearing drawers. These come with soft-close latches so these won’t slam when closed. It can take 15000 pounds of weight thanks to its very durable movable caster wheels.
You’ll also get more value for your money with its 10-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. Your purchase also comes with handy socket organizers and a roll of drawer liner to further protect your tools.
- This chest is very durable and will last longer than plastic drawers.
- Can hold more than 1000 pounds of weight.
- With a generous warranty to give you more value.
- The drawers close softly thanks to its ball-bearing and soft latching system.
- With a lot of space to hold different kinds of tools.
- Complaints of missing accessories.
- The drawers are not lockable.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Best Metal Tool Box from APOLLO TOOLS
- 2- drawer steel chest that’s easy to transport.
- With ball-bearing slider drawers, deep storage compartment.
- Comes with non-slip drawer liners.
- Dimensions – 14 x 8.86 x 9.65 inches, 11.88 pounds
- Material – heavy-duty steel
- Number of Drawers – 2
- Special Features – ball-bearing drawers, center latch, easy to use the durable handle, locking mechanism
- Accessories – none
The APOLLO TOOLS DT5010 is a metal toolbox with a huge storage capacity. It has deep compartments plus two drawers so you can keep all kinds of tools with ease.
This is a metal chest that’s easy to transport with its large handle. It is compact and sleek so you can store it easily inside your closet, under the table, or in your shed or garage. And aside from keeping woodworking tools, you can also use this to keep toys, art supplies, makeup, or any collectible pieces. The front hinge lock can accommodate a padlock so you can protect your tools and supplies anywhere you are.
- This is made from very durable materials.
- With deep storage and drawers at the front.
- Has a durable handle so you can take it anywhere.
- You can use it to keep your tools, supplies, even makeup.
- It’s available in pink.
- Does not have wheels.
- Complaints that it has limited storage capacity.
How to purchase the right tool chest?
Choose a toolbox depending on the tools you want to keep.
The first thing to consider when buying a tool chest is the tools that you want to place inside the box. If you’re looking for a toolbox to hold large power tools like nailer guns, drills, handheld grinders, and other large tools, a tool chest with large, deep drawers is the best. If you want a toolbox to hold small items like nails, fasteners, screws, drill bits, etc. you may want to go with a small, transportable tool chest.
Meanwhile, if you travel a lot with your tools then a chest with a handle and wheels will work nicely. This is a good idea too if you want to organize smaller items, accessories, and tools.
Decide if you want a rolling toolbox or a compact box.
A rolling toolbox comes with easy-to-move caster wheels with two wheels with brakes. These are large tool cabinets with drawers of different sizes and capacities. Some toolboxes have small drawers where you can place small items and tools.
Some cabinets come with accessories to divide drawers into smaller sections. This is best to keep very small items like fasteners, nails, screws, and bolts. If you’re an engineer or an electrician, you need this kind of tool chest to keep small components neat and easy to find.
Meanwhile, some people prefer a compact toolbox, something that’s easy to take anywhere. These boxes come with durable, easy-grip handles, locking systems, and partitioning systems to keep everything in their respective places. There’s no need to rummage through the box to find what you need if you keep your stuff inside a well-arranged compact tool chest.
The type of material matters.
Tool chests are available in different materials. Large and durable tool chests with many shelves and wheels are made from steel which can last for many years. Meanwhile, smaller tool chests are made from hard plastic but there are also large ones that are made from plastic but are not as durable as steel cabinets.
Additional features to check out.
Power tools and many hand tools are very expensive with parts and accessories that cost a fortune. A good tool chest can keep these tools safe and secure because of durable locking systems. You can also find this in smaller and more compact tool chests.
When buying large drawer-type tool chests, look for easy-pull drawers with ball-bearing drawer pulls. You must look for drawer partition systems so you can organize smaller items. This type of tool chest should have padded flat tops and brushed surfaces to prevent scratches and marks.
You should also go for padded tool chests to protect expensive tools like saws, cutters, drills, and grinders. If you must use a portable tool chest, a box with a durable bottom will do best for demanding tasks outdoors. The chest should be waterproof and well-protected from the elements.
The following are the most frequently asked questions and their corresponding answers when buying or using a tool chest.
What type of tool chest is best for a woodworker?
A serious woodworker must have a large tool chest with a set of drawers to keep his precious equipment safe, secure, and sharp. Woodworkers have a variety of tools of different sizes from saws to hammers, files to chisels. These should be well organized so they can easily find what they need.
Why are rolling tool chests so heavy?
Rolling tool chests are very heavy because most of these are made of solid steel. These are made to last a long time and provide a secure and safe place to keep all kinds of tools and accessories.
Which brand of tool chest is the best?
Tool chests come in many brands but the most popular among woodworkers and contractors are tool chests with multiple drawers in varying sizes and easy-to-move caster wheels with locks.
From the 8 best tool chests this year, we selected the WEN 73015 Garage Glider. We licked this toolbox because it’s durable, with multiple padding so your blades, saws, and other tools will remain in tip-top condition. This tool chest is well-designed and despite having limited storage space, you can use it to keep all kinds of hand and power tools, even smaller items like fasteners, screws, and bolts. The WEN 73015 can also be used as a seat as it can hold a lot of weight. We recommend this tool chest and this could be the woodworking or supplies toolbox you’ve been looking for.